Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip and 56 inch rear leafs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 73 Heavyd, May 15, 2002.

1. 73 Heavyd

73 Heavyd Registered Member

Would there be any benefit to moving the shackle flip brackets back to fit 56 inch leafs on a 73 Blazer? How about if I added revolver shackes?

2. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Good luck getting revolver shackles! They no longer sell them for fullsize. i bought mine and i was going to order a spare set and they will no longer sell them.

jeff

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if they still make revs for XJs, get a pair of them... when i got them for my Jimmy about a year back... when they did still make em for fullsize chevs... they were actually just the XJ model.

J

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Generally a 56" spring is going to be stiffer so I'm guessing that any advantage you're going to get with the length will be negated by the spring rate. You could make it worse!
    Revolvers are pretty much a personal thing, I don't like them myself but a lot of guys do. Try to watch some on the trail before you buy.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

How much stiffer you think they would be? I was thinking of going this route and try and get a little more flex out of the 56's over the 52's.. Right now I am runnign the stock 52" main leafs with an aftermarket long add-a-leaf and I have added a few leaves in each from a sare set of springs I had... They flex great with the clamps undone and ride nice but they are sagging like the stock ones did... I will be goning to a soft top soon and the 4" shackle flip to get rid of my blocks...

So you dont recomend the 56's?

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

One of the guys in our club put in some stock (as in he didn't remove any leaves) 56" leaves. They were out of a newer burbon (had the plastic buttons in the leaves). His truck ramped around a 950 on our 23* ramp going backwards (which is a good indication of rear flex). It ramped around 840 going forward. He has skyjacker 6" soft rides up front.

He left all the leaves in because he often loads down his truck with camping gear and wheels it loaded down. If you remove a leaf or 2 it would flex alot better. His screen name is Baby Blue and he doesen't stop by often...you can PM him if you have any more questions.

7. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

one thing I like about the 56 inch springs is that they seem to have less axle wrap than the 52 inch springs. Depending on the type of wheeling you do that could make a big difference.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Don't know how stiff different 56's would be, the only real way is to rate test them, the next best is to calculate the rate, after that we're just throwing out educated guesses. Practical experience seems to be a good way to go, finding people that use them is a good idea.
    I think Jon Snow ramped his k5 on a 30 degree and did something in the low 600's with stock rears, they flex pretty well as is but you can get more capacity and still have decent flex from a longer spring.