Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip and Block question???????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

OK, I ordered my 4" ORD shackle flip yesterday and it's suppose to set my Pinion angle correct. Question I have is, I'm going to run a 2" block with this , but does it need to be a tapered block or a non tapered block?????

2. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I'm running a two inch tapered block, but flipped around, since with the flip and block it overcorrected my angle.

3. Mudbug1979

Would it not be better to just put a flat non tapered block in there to keep it all straight? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have 4" ORD shackle flip + 3" Tuff Country springs for the rear of my K5. I didn't want too have any blocks. I went with a extra inch back there because of the extra weight that K5's and burbs have that pick ups don't. I'd reather sit slightly higher in the rear then front.

5. Mudbug1979

Anyone Else?? The Shackel flip should be here any day now so I need to get the block as soon as possible.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was wondering the same thing, because when i pick up my d60 and 14b i plan on doing an ord shackle flip, and figured id just throw 2" blocks until I can afford new TC springs.(my buddy owns a machine shop)

7. Mudbug1979

I find it hard to believe no one here can anwser this question. Someone here has got to be running some thing close to it anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

For my two cents again, read my above post. But if you're in doubt I have a solution for you. Mock it up with some flat wood blocks and check your pinion angle. If it's good get flat blocks, If you need correction one way or the other get the tapered and run them in which ever direction you need to.

Also here's a quote from ORD

"Pinion angle is a popular question with this kit. The quick and easy answer is that there is no quick and easy answer. Proper pinion angle depends on drivetrain length, wheelbase, gears, tires, vehicle speed and more. It usually boils down to what works for your truck. In general, the shackle flip sets the pinion angle about right for most 4" to 6" lift Blazers and shortbeds, especially the later models with the aluminum transfer cases. Longbeds and Suburbans will probably (but not always) need to shim the pinion down a few degrees for minimum vibration"

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah like Rhuara31 said it depends on what you are running. For example a 10blt or a 14bolt the pinion angles differ. Then your tranny and tcase setup! I am just going to do a mock up with 2x4s to see what will work best!