Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip and front springs. What are the cheapest f/springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed_deed, Apr 24, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Like it said I am looking at lift options.

I am thinking shackle flip and front springs.

What front springs should I go with? Ride quality isnt really a issue. I will be going for the CHEAPEST front springs possible. Who has the cheapest?

And what are the cheapest shocks to go with? They have to be durable but I will being going for the cheapest.

I am just getting things lined up so I have a solid plan to go on.

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Re: alright looking at lift kits. I\'m thinking ord flip and front springs.

6" tuff country 241.27 delivered ord 4" shackle flip 201.07 delived 2" blocks laying around the garage!!!! great ride very soft and flexy in my opinion great set up!!!

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I use SkyJacker 6" fronts... they flex REALLY well! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif And if cost is an issue, spend more on the front springs, and buy your "shackle flip" solution from BorregoK5. Check out his product here:

http://www.echobit.com

I will be buying these to save cost for now. Ultimately, I think I will be using the Springer stuff anywho... but for now, cost is an issue.

As for shocks... the DT8000's are great shocks. Jekbrown (I think) sent me that way a long time ago in the chat room... you can send "TheLakeRat" a PM for pricing... I think it should be about $35-40 per shock. Here are a few features:

Massive 1 5/8" piston assembly
    Large 11/16" chrome shaft
    Teflon wiper seal
    High velocity, speed sensitive valving
    Bump stop
    Double Welded
    Urethane bushings
    Twin Tube
    Added Oil Capacity
    Cellular Gas
    LIFETIME WARRANTY

Hope that helps! Still working on getting the truck ready for BB02 huh? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Me too.... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Potentially cheaper than any other shackle flip is the do it yourself flip. Cut out the bottom of the shackle hanger, drop the shackle through. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'm not versed enough in shocks/springs to suggest any, but I'm sure you'll get some good info from others/searches.

-Aaron

5. speed_deed

Not gonna be ORD\'s so what are the cheapest front springs?

Alright looks like that will be the shackle flip instead of ORD's but now what are the CHEAPEST 6" front springs?

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I agree with the cut through the hanger shackle flip, just did this on mine and works great. Very pleased with the results. Downside is it can take time to fit everything just right, but worth saving $180.

I did a little write-up with some pics on how to do the shackle flip. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/trcksr4me/shackletech.htm>click here</a>

7. speed_deed

Alright that helps and I think I will do that intstead of buying one. Still what are the cheapest front springs?

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'd look for some used ones. Check the forsale here and over at pirate4x4 and customtruckshowcase.com. If you can't find anything there then 4wheel parts probably has something cheap. Maybe their "genuine suspension" brand stuff.

-Aaron

9. speed_deed

Anyone?

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I think it was your wording... cheapest or least expensive? And even that is relative to new/used and what sales are going on where. Might just be a research item!

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, your gonna have to start looking around. If you can find used locally, that will be the cheapest. A local guy here just sold a 4" setup of unknown origin for a song, including steering correction. You don't want to get a set that needs to be shipped though, those mutha's are heavy. Also, I got my 5012s for just over $30 each…

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Here's what I've got:

4" front springs, I believe they're pro-comps, paid $90/each.
    Pro-Comp shocks, they often go on sale buy 3 get one free, the last set I got was $100, including a can of black spray paint (they come white). Lifetime warrenty.
    You-can't-afford-it shackle flip (cut a hole in the stock mount).

You will also need:
    Extended brake lines, ~$100
    (Most likely) Front u-bolts, ~$35.
    Steering arm, ~$50,
    Axle shims, ~$20 (both ends).
    Alignment, ~40.

Pete

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a set of 4" Tuff Country EZ ride front springs from "Suspension Connection" or something to that effect. Their advertisment is in this month's Fourwheeler. They want $195 for a pair.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if "cheapest" is always going to be a criteria, a truck build up prolly isn't an idea. Don't get me wrong, I search night and day to find out how to do things more inexpensively... but at some point (with respect to cost) you are just getting a product so inferior that it could scarcely be called an "upgrade"... performance will suffer... and, in my case anyway, higher performance is the goal... not some expendable factor,

That said, with respect to shocks, get some Doetsch Tech DT8000s from West Texas Offroad... $35-ish (cheap compared to a RS9000!) and very high quality.

Dunno on springs, I haven't shopped for them in a while...the shackle flip in the rear is a good idea tho. While you are doing that, it would be a good idea to rebuild your springs. Ya might wanna check out my webshots for info on that... mine turned out pretty nice.

J