Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip and towing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudlug, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Mudlug

Mudlug Registered Member

I need info from people that have ORD shackle flips

I have a 95 Z71 and I am upgrading to a 14 bolt SF
    I also want to upgrade my rear spring set up
    I have a add a leaf block comb

which would be better for a truck at is a DD a little offroad and some towing (my k20)

6" lift springs
    or ORD flip with stock 3/4 63" springs

people with the ORD flip please help

Thanks
    Mudlug
    midnightwebmaster

2. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

Try the search function on this site, and/or post in the ord forum. I can count 3 shackel flip/towing post that I have read recently off the top of my head

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Try the search function on this site, and/or post in the ord forum. I can count 3 shackel flip/towing post that I have read recently off the top of my head

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't too helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mudlug:
    Welcome to CK5. As you've just been told, there is a search feature, but since you asked a rather specific question and asked for people's opinions, I see nothing wrong with your post.

I don't have an ORD flip. I do know it's not recommended if you tow with your truck (especially the kind of weight you're talking). I personally would choose a 6" lift spring over the flip/stock spring in your situation.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We have a couple of trucks with shackle flips.....
    The nice thing about the 3/4T spring is it will have a higher load rating than a lift spring, which by the way only comes up to a 5" lift as far as I know. When you're hauling, the spring's rate and capacity will have more to do with the load carrying capability than the shackle mounting method. That's one of the cool uses of the flip, you get to keep a heavy rated stock type spring if that's what you want.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would not tow with a shackle flip. The geometry of it just seems to make the springs feel too soft. With super stiff stock springs I am sure it could be done, but in my opinion, by the time you get those, plus the flip brackets and new bushings, it will cost about the same as lift springs and I doubt you'll have any additional flex with the shackle flip and super stiff springs.

I have a shackle flip on my trail machine, but my tow rig would run blocks or springs for sure.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I towed all last year with a shackle flip. All I can say is, anything that works really well offroad, doesnt work all that well onroad. Such as the shackle flip. The shackle flip will make your rear soft. I wouldnt be too concerned with small weights, such as under 2000 lbs, but above that, your talking some more tongue weight. your k20 would have at least a 400-500 tongue weight, and you may get some uncontrolable bouncing and what not. If you want to tow with shackle flip, I would personally recommend no less than a good anti sway and weight distribution setup. That will keep the trailer and truck on a flat plane.

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I towed with my 1 ton truck with the flip for 2 years with no problems. And thats everything from a 3 axle gooseneck loaded with 2 trucks to our dump trailer every weekend loaded upwards of 10k pounds.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I towed with my 1 ton truck with the flip for 2 years with no problems. And thats everything from a 3 axle gooseneck loaded with 2 trucks to our dump trailer every weekend loaded upwards of 10k pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your truck also has nearly 170" of wheelbase, which I believe to be a big factor in this entire discussion.

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nearly, it's 171.5" thank you very much /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ya, but you got a 1 ton, he's got a 1/2 ton. Even if he upgrades his axles, he would still have to upgrade his rear springs to the 1 ton stock springs + flip to get closer to your load rating.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Nearly, it's 171.5" thank you very much /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I thought it was 168". Sorry, your wheelbaseness. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

I guess my truck is tiny at 119". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Mudlug

Mudlug Registered Member

well first off I did the search and found lots of topics about off road, none about on road and towing.

The new dodge 1/2 tons have flips on them
    so i was just looking for info
    thanks for all the info I think I am going to go with the springs
    but the more input the better
    thanks
    everyone

Laters
    Mudlug
    midnightwebmaster

13. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay, rant on, so now we are comparing towing with 1/2 ton trucks with loads that may be to heavy for them in stock form:
    Lifting them, adding larger tires, gears maybe?, probably less than optimum hitch setups as far as angle is concerned, and a short wheelbase. This is now a scary setup to tow with but somehow its all the shackle flip that causes it.

I have a shackle flip on my 95 Ford Extended Cab longbed. I had the ability to tow the same trailer and load with no lift, 2" spring lift and 2" block, and finally a shackle flip.

The truck did tow differently when I lifted it originally. Then I began to play with combinations of lift and finaly did the shackle flip. The TRUCK TOWS NO DIFFERENT WITH A SHACKLE FLIP THAN IT DID WITH A 2" ADD A LEAF AND A 2" BLOCK.
    Same amount of lift, same shocks, and same springs( I have never taken the add a leaf out since the first lift version).

I did get some weird things before I got the trailer angle correct with a drop hitch and adjusting the hitch height on the trailer.

I think where these MYTHS come up is when somebody is wanting to take the Blazer with 6" overall lift, tires that are not really meant for towing, poor hitch and trailer tongue geometry, soft shocks, and tow their boat to the lake at maybe excessive speeds. This is not the correct setup to do this with.

Tow with the correct equipment for the job.

Lifted trucks do tow different than they would not lifted. Lift methods seem not to have a drastic effect on towing ability, only the fact that it is lifted
    Rant off