Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip and towing

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ryand7, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ryand7

ryand7 Registered Member

I have seen a few posts about the shackle flip kit and towing issues..Is it really a serious problem?? I am getting ready to install a 4 inch lift..4 inch springs up front and new stock springs and shackle in the rear..Is there anything aI should look out for?? The only thing that I tow is my boat..19fter..????

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have the ORD flip on the yellow blazer and have no problems towing at all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

3. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I just installed mine last month and had the same question. I towed my brothers stump grinder and trailer around yesterday. Probably only weighs about 3,000 lbs total but I didn't have any problems at all. Rides great, wheels great.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

As far as towing is concerned, you can regard the flip much the same as a block, it's just creating a taller ride height.
    The problem is (which you've probably read 20+ times because I know I've written this at least that many times) towing a poorly set up trailer, or towing with a vehicle that's not set up to tow. K5's are bit short to be optimum tow rigs but can do it if they're set up right, whether they have a flip kit or not.
    I know I'd rather tow with a flip kit than with a block for ride height, and unless you needed the stiffness of a deep arch spring, I wouldn't want a lift spring instead either.

To answer your question specifically, towing in general can be a serious problem, for some vehicles and trailers. I know I've towed trailers with my K5 that were really bad and I could only run about 30 mph without wrecking. I've also towed a fairly heavy 20ft boat up to 70 very comfortably, the major variable in this case was the trailer, the truck didn't change much.