Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip and towing

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by chebywanna, Jun 8, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

ive heard that when one does a shackle flip (thinking 4" here) one should not tow heavy trailers, i have a 7,000 lbs GVWR car trailer. which would you recomend, shackle flip or 4" springs? (don't tow very often but...), i want shackles so i can go with 56" springs later but don't want to chance it.
    thanks
    jim

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

4 inch springs would be better. but as you want to put the 56's on the shackle would b be needed, or to move your stock hanger. that might be the best way. im not sure but i think the 56 inch chevy springs are stiffer than the 57 inch ford springs. if that is the case using the flip would be better with the 56 inch packs. you dont tow that offten, and maybe what could be done is those cheap coil over shocks could be added for towing.
    Grant

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If the truck is a proper tow vehicle, the flip doesn't do anything to hurt that. Taking a softly spring blazer with poor shocks, "C" load range tires and a poorly balanced trailer on a trip will cause you to cuss something and unfortunately, the flip kit can get the blame.
    Search for more info here, there's lots.

We tow regularly with my bro's F250 with a one-off flip on it and have no problems. His skidsteer and trailer weigh in somewhere around 10K#. My K5 on the big trailer is similar. The 460 motor gets hammered on hills but the rest of the truck does fine.

4. chebywanna

thanks for the info, the only thing i was concurned about was if the shackles can take the beating, as far as load bearing goes, ill figure something out /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

you say fords are softer eh? hmmm...

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you say fords are softer eh? hmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Read: axle wrap... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. chebywanna

fix... traction bars /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (its like taking medicine for one thing and a nother for the side effects and another for the side effects of the side effect medicine /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 96 K3500 1 ton with the 4" flip in the rear and I'm running E load range TSL's and have absolutely no problems towing 10k+ pounds of 24 foot enclosed car trailer down the freeway, up hills, down hills, etc. Works great Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif