Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip + block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Aug 2, 2005.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it ok to run a 4 inch flip with a four inch block with 56" for a little while until i can get the money for the springs or should i just try to find some springs.

2. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I would imagine the spring wrap is gonna be horrible but other than that I dont see a problem with it for a temporary setup.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

shackle flip + 4"block = ????????

I'm not sure I'd feel too safe doing that. How long will you have to wait until you can get some 4" 56's?

I would wait and get the springs.

My $.02 :D

do you already have your DS made to fit?

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

are u going to be wheelin? id take it easy if u do, would be fine for DD i see WAY worse around here

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

How much worse could it be than running a 4" block without a shackle flip? Granted the proper springs would be best, but I can't see how the 4" blocks suddendly become so much worse with the shackle flip.

BTW, I've been running 4" rear blocks in my 1-ton, fully locked K5 on 38's for almost 10 years with no issues and I've broken 2 front D60 30-spline stubs, so it doesn't get babied.........though I do have the shackle flip kit sitting in the garage.

6. dheavychevy38

Heres the thing i just swapped out my 8 inch fronts and put in 6 inch with a zero rate and in the rear i need to remove the 8 inch springs and put in either 4 inch flip and 4" block for now. Or i would get 6 inch rears with a zero rate. But i need to do it fast cause i traded my 8 inch lift for a samurai and i need to do somethin for the rear of the k5 so i can drive it to work. The real **** kick cause i am low on cash cause my mom just passed and i have been helpin my dad out so cheap is good. That why i was thinkin blocks cause i have them and springs cause i have them alls i need was the flip.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

for DD or mild off-roading they will be fine. just dont recomend jumpin or crawlin with em. ive seen 8" blocks from a truck lift company here in el cajon- they have a sign in thier shop says "not for off-road use. off-road use is abuse and abnormal wear and tear and will void warrenty" LMFAO dumba$$es :haha:

sorry bout ure mom :(

8. dheavychevy38

It's mostly for drivein on the street just alittle wheel but nothin major if it is dry out you don't even have to lock the hubs.

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

ull be fine, IMO

10. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I've run that setup for nearly two years now without a problem and I wheel my truck as well as daily drive it. Do it.

11. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Go to a salvage yard Buy the rear spring mounts off a 2500 they are made for the 2500 frame so they are if I remember 10in tall slide them to the bottom of the frame on your rigg use front and back spring hanger. do the home made shacke flip with them in the back if needed. you should be able to get 8 in easy this way just make sure if you lower them to much that you weld in a guset on the back side up to the frame to keep them from moveing in even though they never would it adds a little peace of mind. Just remember when you do it to mount the front a little hire then the rear to help with your drive line angles. I think I got 4in in the back and 2 in the front mount. but with the shackle flip you may be able to lower them both the same amount the shackle flip will help straighten the drive line angles out to. I did this on a K5 to get 6in of lift. I used the stock springs the 2500 spring mounts and a ord zero rate. Had around $100 in the whole set up. I thought it was well worth it to get rid of the 6 in blocks I had.

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I wheeled my rig with 5.5" blocks and wheeled it hard for 2 years. Using a shackle flip shouldn't put anymore stress on things than a factory setup. In other words same amount of axle wrap as stock with blocks.