Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip idea/question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 18, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If I wanted to gain 6 inches of lift using ORD's 4 inch flip, could I use these Summit 2-inch drop shackle to gain that extra 2 inches...what are the affects on the rear geometry...Seeing as how the shackle is simple 2 inches longer than a stock shackle and it would be flipped so you go two inches higher...

<a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/SUM-G904000.jpg>See the 2-inch extened shackle here</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=4&amp;s=157&amp;p=1760&amp;searchtype=ecat>And here is the description and item number page</a>

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Was think about doing the same thing! i know one down fall is that your wheels will not be centers more then before.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good idea, except that would give you 5 inches of lift because you're only lifting one side of the spring pack.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

1" ORD zero rate will solve that.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

They are thin stamped steel.... you sure you wanna use them...

6. fortcollinsram

That was my biggest concern...thos shackle don't look to strong...I could always just start weling pieces of steel to it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Chris

7. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Or you could start from scratch and weld up a set of your own.

8. fortcollinsram

Very true...I probably will once I am comfortable with my welding skills (and I have a welder of my own /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif)

Chris

9. steve_97

steve_97 Registered Member

I am using the summit 2" lowering shackles on my 73 k5 with a shackle flip, not sure exactly how much lift they gave me though. I went the cheap route and used the spring hangers from the front of the rear springs off a donor truck, along with a 4" block under the frame to do my shackle flip. Then added the lowering shackles for a little bit more. Agian not really sure how much lift this whole setup created though.

10. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

If those summit shackles are made for a 2" drop then they would be 4" longer than stockers. So they would make for a 2" lift.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Both Depdog and Keith are running them .Both bent them first time at tellico. Both have had to beef them up a lot! They beefed to the point that they might as well have made new one's. Go with the ORD Zero rates and add a second overlead leaf installed upside down. That will be 1.75 inches of lift plus the four from the flip. That's how I have mine. you could also throw and extra leaf in the pack and gain about an inch but it does firm up the pack.

12. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

I ended up welding the top of my hangers with three peices of 1/4" steel with welds inside and out and cut the bottom of the hangers so the shackles could fit and have room to move. I installed that setup with C10 rear springs and that combination gave me 6" of lift. I was only expecting 4" and I double check every thing and it looks correct. I then did a little research, the hangers are shorter on a 4x2 then a 4x4. Also the springs have a different part number for a five pack 4x2 leaf set then a five pack 4x4 leaf set. They are soft and seem to hold quite well.