Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip Idea!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Oct 17, 2005.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

I was browsing the for sale section.. and thedrip posted pics of some shackle flip he found.. just a stock shackle w/ a hole cut outta it to drop the shackle down.. i think this is an awesome idea! i would assume its just as strong too right? other opinions?
    EDIT... i didnt see this in the tech section. also what do you use for the front shackle.. still kinda confused on that part.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Bad shackle angle. Better idea (imho) is to use a front rear hanger.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

There is a wirte-up on thin in the tech section.

4. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

oppps. guess i missed that one. after reading it im still kinda confused on what to use for the front shackle though..

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just move the stock bracket to where the shackle angle is good. I cut the bottom out of mine, welded some bracing in to better support things, moved it back 2.5", and run shackles 1.5" longer than stock with 57" ford springs. Clear as mud? :D

Rene

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im with tR on this one... add some bracing if you plan on going this route. Any time you cut holes that large into something its not going to be "just as strong" as it was stock. Even without the hole its no where near as strong as an aftermarket shackle flip bracket. Assuming you're not doing a dirt-cheap beater build, I highly recommend a shackle flip from DYI. It allows you to use normal plate-style shackles, you can switch the brackets side-to-side to run longer springs without drilling new holes in the frame and it has nifty backing plates too.

j

7. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

yeah im on an extremely tight budget so i was looking at some cheaper ways to do this. ah well ill save a few months haha do it right so its not ghetto

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

The cheap, and better way is to use the: front hanger, for a rear spring, on a 2WD. Remove it from the 2wd, and mount it where you need it, to become the rear hanger, on the rear spring (where you would normally install the shackle flip).

[​IMG]

I have not done it myself, but others have with good results. It achieves the same result, without having to remove material from the hanger.

9. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

that looks pretty sweet,, what do u do about the front shackle?

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You keep asking about the "front" shackle. Are you refering to the spring hanger for the front springs, or where the front of the rear spring attaches to the frame? I didn't do anything but attach the spring in the stock location.

John

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yes with all of these ideas you will leave the front rear spring shackel in it factory form and location. It does change the pinion angle though.

12. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

ah ok cool.. so to just correct the pinion angle use some degree shims right?

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yes shims for a factory style shaft. But the upward angle helps if you run a CV rear like mine.

14. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

alright cool thanks a ton for all the answers, its definitily helping me out! one more though, this gives you a true 4" lift? lil less? lil more?

15. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Just so no one thinks I'm a moron, I mentioned he should do a shackle flip, I stole those pics from a website to post to demonstate what it is. My own flip is heavily gussetted, I just don't have pictures of it.

16. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

the 2wd shackle.. is it only bolted in by 2bolts? it seems to be from those pics, i dont think i would feel comfy running something like that holy held on by 2 bolts..

17. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think it just looks that way in the pic. The pic does not show the top very well.

You should be able to achieve a 4" lift this way. But, you will have to determine where you are going to mount, and how high, or low. In other words, if I remember correctly, you can determine your amount of lift, up to limited number.

The pic is from 85mudblazin's gallery at austink5.net, so you can PM him here, and ask about it, or just go look in his gallery at AK5. I just took th efirst clear pic I saw of it, and I'm sure there are some more pics, that will show number of bolts etc.

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This is what I used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to dig this up but if you do a shackle flip using the front hangers off the rear springs, do the hangers have to be from a 2wd? Are the hangers a lot different between a 2wd and a 4wd? Thanks, Kevin

20. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you don't have to use hangers from a 2wd, but they are alot shorter than the 4wd so you don't have to cut off the top portion that hangs off the frame to get the same amount of lift.