Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip kits 2.5"

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 81 Burb, Feb 18, 2003.

1. 81 Burb

81 Burb Newbie

Shackle flip kits 2.5\"

1981 1/2 ton Sub. 6" spring lift TC, 35" BFG AT/TA , axle shims TC. The rear sits about 2.5" lower than the front. I would like to install the 2.5" flip kit. Does it replace both front and rear spring hangers for the rear springs? The reason I ask is, I was hit by a Honda Accord, and it did damage to my rear suspension (I was towing a 21' ski boat when it happened). The right wheel sits further back now since the accident(It dog tracks down the road). There is slight frame damage to the rear(Frame shop next month), but I think the majority of the damage is the spring hangers. Any Info. would be greatly appreciated, Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Re: Shackle flip kits 2.5\"

welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!!! The shackle flip is only the rear of the two hangers (shackle hanger.) It sounds like you have a more serious problem if your truck is dog leggin' and has that much variation front to rear with new springs /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. You might want to wait and see what the frame/ body/ alignment shop has to say before trying to put a band aid on the rear suspension /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I would check your spring centering pins in the rear packs to see if one of them sheared (that often happens from hard impacts) causing the axle to slide back on the springs.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That pretty much answered your questions I think. That's the same stuff I would recommend.

4. 81 Burb

81 Burb Newbie

Thanks for the info. Blazinaire. I will wait until the frame is straightened to do any suspension work. The rear springs are new, I installed them after the accident. The right spring broke on impact along with the axle housing. I had blocks, and add-a-leafs to achieve the lift before the wreck. I did not like what happened to them after the wreck though. They about slid out. Both of them broke at the small centering pin "nub" that sits in the axle housing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. That is why I went with the springs. I am happy with them. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif