Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip/Leafs too short?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BogginChevy, May 18, 2001.

1. BogginChevy

BogginChevy Registered Member

I just installed my shackle flip on my 84 Chevy K20, now when i go to bolt the leaf spring up to the shackle it wont reach. I have superlift 4 inch lift springs, is it possible they sent me the wrong length leaf springs? How long should my springs be? Ive had the springs on there for awhile and i had to pry the old shackle forward to get it bolt to the leaf spring, but i thought i had to because there wasnt any weight on the spring, but now im thinking not.

Thanks,
    Ryan

BTW: I just measured the leafs and they are 49" from the center of the spring eyes.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bogginchevy on 05/19/01 08:21 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

You might want to post this on the main board, you'll get more responses.

3. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the rear leafs on K trucks are 53" usually. Could be mistaken? I'd say post on the main board as well.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

seems strange that a guy posts a problem with ORD product on the ORD board and all he gets is advise to move his post to another board.
    glad it worked out for you Bigazzchevy

5. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

is it possible you have the shackle mounts on the wrong side?
    I remember reading about people doing that to get a longer springs on the rear.check it out and make sure that it looks like it's pointing towards the spring. You'll be able to tell by the bigger side brace, it should be at the rear. Hope this is the problem, and you don't have to get new springs!

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The factory springs are 52" long. You should measure along the spring to get a good measurement not straight across from eye to eye. If the spring is 52" then it is just an oops on the the install otherwise you got the wrong end of the deal on your springs. Good luck.

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Could you please explain a litte more detail how to measure leaf springs ?
    TIA

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

This is easy, you just need to be aware of it. When you measure the spring take the tape measure and start at a spring eye. You must follow the curve on the spring to the second eye. Hold the tape along the entire top spring. It is easier to do this with a cloth tape measure but it can be done with the steel roll up ones. Measure from center to center. This is the actual length of the spring. Because the spring is curved the distance from eye to eye is shorter than the length of the spring itself. Hope this helps.

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Thanks, are you also saying it should be 52" ?
    Is that the way they(industry) measure eye to eye ?
    According to some the most popular rear spring for Chevy's is 52" or 56"
    Do your measure 52"

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is what is referred to as eye to eye. Most GM springs are 52". My K30 has 56" springs and I think that all K30s do. Not sure which other trucks run the longer springs.

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

to add to the thread now is that some frames are drilled for both lengths. as our originator of this thread accidentally found out only the rear hanger needs to be moved to run the longer springs.