Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip & Lift or just Lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Sep 7, 2001.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm about ready to tear down and finalize (yeah right) my 78 k5 415 ci with 38's, Dana 44/12 bolt. I've been tossing the idea back and forth of either a 4" shackle filp and a 4" spring lift in the rear or for an outright 8" spring lift. I'm after a soft ride as most of the dirt this truck hits is desert whoops and high speed trails. I occationally do a bit of rock crawling(with the anti sway disconnected) so travel is important as well. To complicate matters I drive this to and from work on a regular basis. It seams logical that the 4" lift and shackle flip might yeild a better ride but the straight out lift might allow better travel. I'm entertaining the Skyjacker Softride but have my doubts about the "SoftRide" part. Anyone have any aplied experience here I could take advantage of?

<b>"What, Me Worry?</b>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

First of all "BorregoK5", why don't you wait to tear it down til after our Blazer Safari out at Truckhaven Hills Oct 5-7?? Come on out, we will be having a great run there, have over 35 trucks signed on as of now. Just look for the "Blazer Safari" post on here.

As for the lift, i have the 4" shackle + 2 1/2" Superride springs. You will get better travel out of the shackle + small spring lift vs. the straight 8" spring lift. Those 8" springs are seriously arched, therefore they don't flex for a damn! You could go big $$ and get some National Springs, but they still would be better flexers if you use 4" shackle flip and 4" spring lift. The other thing is, do you really need 8" of lift? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, just wondering if maybe you could go like I did, get the 4" shackle flip + 2 1/2" springs (which are very soft) and then trim the fenders for clearance. Just an idea.

If it was me, I would avoid the 8" springs if you are looking for any decently comfortable ride and travel.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I agree on the trimming of the fenders as opposed to the lift, keeping the center of gravity low and all. I've been looking for fiberglass replacements for the fenders which would retain a clean look while making room for 38" Swampers as the wife has made it quite clear she doesn't want a Mad Max mutation parked in front of the house, regardless of how functional it is (I'm working on that one still). Thanks for the advise on the shackle flip, this just leaves the front to figure out as far as the lift goes. Is there a complimentary solution to getting the lift on the front with similar results?

I just took a look at the Blazer Safari list, that sounds great! I'm always looking for some good SoCal trips, especally since Borrego Springs is sitting at about 110 degrees still. I just swapped in a 350ci while I run some mods on my 415ci so if everything checks out clean then I'll post myself in. Thanks for the heads up. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BorregoK5 on 09/07/01 02:53 PM.</FONT></P>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds like it's time to build a shop! [​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Funny you should say that "laketex". I've got a shop which I've been building muscle cars in for a while now but I've got a problem when it comes to the shops roof clearance. I might have to get a lift kit for my shop so I can fit my truck! :)

What, Me Worry?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if it was me i would trim the fenders and go with a 4in shackle flip and then go with whatever springs you would like to get the desired(sp?) hight you are after

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333