Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip & Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Aug 15, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I would like to put an 8" suspension lift on my project Blazer. I dont want to use blocks, and I would like to use a shackle flip in the rear for better articulation.

From what I understand, Blazers sit 2" lower in the rear than the front. I will be putting a 8" lift on the front, in the rear, I will have a shackle flip. So here is my question: Should I put a set of 4" springs in the rear of a set of 6" springs to even out the stance?

Also, please advise---- Will a 8" lift require too much of a pinion angle problem? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well I think you should put the 6" springs in the rear. The Blazers and Suburbans suffer from "saggy butt" after a lift. I am thinking you are going to run 38"-42" tires so you are probably going to need to sawzall your fenders too. Also If you havent thought about it already, your steering is going to have to be upgraded. Get the dropped pit man AND extended dragliks. This, plus a heavy duty/ double steering stabilizer to get rid of bumpsteer( I would go with the latter). The only problem I have found with the double stabilizer, its a wonder at grabing trail obstacles. Mine has a skid plate/axletruss now. You are right about the driveline problem. Shim the axle/springs( avail. where you get your lift) and lower the t-case. You are going to need extended drive shafts. I tried the spacer thing, didnt do the job. And you will need extended brakelines. Dont forget that your P brake brake cable and axle breather lines have to be extended too. OH yeah to be one the safer side of johnny law, get your headlights rezeroed. At least he cant write you a ticket for that one( that was my first ticket, ever). I think I got everything, anyone else have any corrections/additions?

3. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

One more thing... Where will I be able to find a combination like 8" lift in front/6"springs in rear? Maybe BDS suspension? Let me know.

Thanks Guys!

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

4. Yes you can get different size springs,they'll sell you whatever yopu want!!I would go with Big Dick springs,I have a set and luve them!

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!