Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip makes me wonder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Mar 15, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

I'm debating whether or not to do a shackle flip. Well, I guess I will be, I done ground a hole in one of the bracket thingies. 1) Is there an easy way to move the springs below my tailpipe? It comes out behind my rear tire and there doesn't seem to be any way to drop the springs with the pipe there w/o removing both ends of the spring. 2) How big of a hole is needed for movent where I won't be compromising the strength of the bracket thingy? (Just what is that thing called anyway? I'm drawing a blank.) 3) Instead of moving the spring below my tailpipe, do I actually need to lower my tailpipe? 4) How would I strengthen the spring hanger if there is a danger of it failing due to the removal of all that metal?
    I hope that isn't too many questions. And if you have pictures they would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

There have been many discussions on this and some articles posted with pictures. I'll try to post a link later. From what I have read, you have to cut and relocate your exhaust pipe(s). Let me see what I can find and I'll get back to you because I have been looking into this also.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my webshots album has pics of the whole shack flip install. As far as tail pipes go, they are low priority... let the suspension go where it needs to go, and then route your exhuast around it.. not the other way around.

J

4. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

There is an artical in the tech section that covers this. And they are called hangers if I am not mistaken. Could be, I am at work and got alot on my mind. Yeah that's why I'm here right? Oh well. Take a look at the artical there. By the looks of it I wouldn't cut any further than where it BEGINS to bend upwards. I am gonna do this after I get back from overseas so let me know how it works out. And good luck.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I did a home made shackle flip on my blazer and I just cut the exhaust away from the spring. I'll fix it soon ( I swear). I am not worried about the strength of the hanger. I've had plans to gusset it up (soon, I swear). I have had no problems with strength at all. I don't tow anyhting substantial tho. I dont think I'd tow a large boat or camper with them being reinforced. Look at my pics, I use my blazer pretty well.

6. muddevils

muddevils Registered Member

i just wanted to throw this in here to save you some work. most people when they do a shakle flip they use the stock shackles, well sorry to tell you guys but if you do that you are better off leaving the stock stuff on there, they will give you more flex than the shackle flip, i know this for a fact i would tell why but i hate typing that much, just take my word for it( i had to show my friends before they would believe me) if you are wanting more lift i would leave the stock shakles on there and get taller springs. that's just my 2 cents. if you want to PM me i will tell you why. see ya'll on the rocks.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

My advice is to invest in the ORD hangers. Hanger....the word you were looking for. You will have to cut LOTS from the factory hanger. I used angle iron to gusset it. I highly recommend gusseting it while you have it off. Also, this will effect your pinion angle..point it up.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If you gonna do a flip go ahead and pull the spring pack out all the way. When I did my flip I pulled my spring packs apart and used a 4" grinder to remove any burs and gouges that the springs had gotten over the years. Also I rounded off the neds of the leaves. If you do this it will alow your springs to work better, hence less friction.
    As for the exhaust I had just spent several hundred on mine the week befor so i didnt touch it. Now the tail pipes exit between the frame and the springs right in front of the shackels. There is no way that the exhaust and springs would ever come in contact with one another unless I jumped a house.