Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip option?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine recently bought a book on suspension from one of the 4x4 magazines. In it, it shows a wrangler or FJ with what looks like a lever attached to the rear shackle to allow for additional droop.

The shackle is a compression style setup, like a shackle flip. The shackle attaches to the lever (not the frame), and the lever attaches to the frame about 18 inches forward.

Under compression the shackle works like a normal one. When in a droop condition, the lever allows the shackle to drop 6-8 inches below the frame, giving additional contact for the tires.

Does anyone know who runs this type of setup, or where I could get more info?

Thanks!

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would talk to marv springer or AZ-K5 i believe. It is commonly referred to as a springer suspension because I believe marv designed it. It uses a lever as you stated and ford 57s it nets about 24" of wheel travel sick flex. I know a few people on here run them and really like them.

Ira