Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip or Lift Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'm comptemplating between the two. I'm getting rid of my 4" rear blocks for sure and I just want yalls opinion, should I go with new lift springs, or a shackle flip? Thanks
    Boss

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

In my opinion it's realy up to you and how you use your rig!
    Shackel flip will give you better scores on the RTI ramp with a flexier rear, duno if that compramises the HWY ride at all or if it increases the sway??
    I have 5" leaf springs and they ride great and keep the tires on the ground with no sway issues!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Steve
    Where did you get 5" leaf springs?

Steve

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Do the flip. I'd much rather give my money to Steve Watson of ORD then any of the lift companies. After going to the Y2k5 run and seeing how helpful Steve Watson and his father was to the others, I will patronize them forever.

Shawn
    87 K5
    ORD flip

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Do the flip. I'm not done with the frontend on my Blazer so I can't take it offroad yet. I've been driving it on pavement only with the 4 inch flip in back. It rides great. And I KNOW it will do well offroad. Yes, its lifted in the front too.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Steve,
    SuperLift makes them they are acctually rated or said to be 5 1/2" total lift. I run them with my Rancho 4" fronts and it sits level. With the hardtop off you can barly see the rear pokin up a bit higher. I lovem and the keep the rear on the ground and I get 0 wheel hop!![​IMG]
    No harsh ride eather![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hhmmm... I think it depends on what kind of wheeling you do. If you can do a homemda shackle fllip, go with that. I belive a shckle flip would be better. As others mentioned you have better flex and better ride.(I don't get this. When I went to see how much a 4 inch shackle flip cost 1 month ago it was around 400 dollars, now, I found one for under 200) I agree with everyone else and you should go fo the shackle flip.

<font color=red>CHECK OUT MY SITE</font color=red>
    http://blazer-jimmy.coloradok5.com

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I would say think about what kind of shape your rear springs are in. Mine were shot, that is why I went with new lift springs. Of coure you could get newer springs. I'm sure there are alot of stock springs out there. That is what Grimreaper did and his set up works great. The only draw back I noticed with the flip is the spring is now lower and gets smacked more often. It didn't to damage anything, though. BTW, I am very happy with my Skyjacker springs. They ride way better that stock and flex good, too. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I was leaning toward the shackle flip, but my rear springs are shot from the blocks. I think I'm gearing toward new lift springs just b/c I don't have to do as much work as I would for the flip. I looked at my truck and I saw that I would have to move my exhaust since it will be in the way, and so on. So far I've heard Superlift, Skyjacker and Rough Country were good. Any others??
    Boss