Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip Owners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Oct 12, 2006.

?

What to do about my Shaft

Poll closed Jan 10, 2007.
  1. Fix the CV Shaft

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Run NON CV and shim the Axle

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Run NON CV and drop the transfercase

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Save for new HAD , live with vibes a month or so

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. Run nekkid with my shaft

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Nekkid and no shaft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

OK , I am considering NOT getting my rear CV fixed due to cost .

Who runs stock NON CV rear shaft with Echobit flip and good 52 inch rear springs and stock shackles ?

What degree shims , if any did you use ?

I do have a second Echobit flip , with the Echobit solid steel degree shims to correct it .

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Pauly,

I just went thru this exercise on the Marvzda....

Bought a 1410 yoke here on Ck5 - and deleted the CV on the rear shaft. Works ok off road - but shakes like a mama on the pavement.

So, there ya go.... Trail truck or DD...? no CV or yes CV.

Marv

3. pauly383

Thats why I need to know what has worked for people ( without searching for hours ) .

Like you told someone before , I REALLY drive my truck daily :D

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I run the DIY4x shackle flip with 56" springs and a HAD c/v shat and have zero vibes. I ran the the echobit flip with a standard shaft and always had vibes, even when the pinion was pointed correctlly.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have the Sky shackle flip, stock shackles and 52's. I ran the stock driveshaft with a Napa 447 conversion u-joint at the diff (14-bolt) for years with no real bad vibrations (at least nothing that could really be felt over a set of 38" Swampers). Street mileage was pretty limited though as it's a trail truck. I then swapped to a standard shaft with 1350s at both ends (had to grind the yokes slightly) and noticed no real difference.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I have a DIY4x flip, 56" springs and a non-cv shaft mfg'd by a local driveline shop by the previous owner and have 0 vibs.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have a home made flip and 64's and non cv shaft for now. the vibes arent that bad, but it makes that loud noise when your foot is not on the gas. once i get everything done ill be getting a cv.

8. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got the echobit flip with stock 52's, stock non-cv shaft, no shims and no vibes. It actually got rid of an existing driveline vibe I had from two cut extra add a leafs (poor mans zero rates) the PO installed.

Only difference on my 52's is that I had one of the small leafs broke on one side so we took it out and the same one on the other side to make it equal.

but with no cv I still have no vibes. Semi DD driven up to 80mph with no problems.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im running an echobit flip with good 52" rears and no shim. I started off with the stock non-cv shaft and had MAJOR vibes. Almost to the point that I couldnt drive it. I HAD to get a cv made to be able to drive the truck. Then again, im running a slip yolk. My pinion angle is pretty good.

EDIT: Forgot to add that even after I installed a cv shaft, I had to lower the t-case 1" to get rid of the vibes completley. Im not running shims in the rear, but compensated for that when I re-welded the spring perches on my 14ff.

-Harrison

10. pauly383

Thats exactly why I had the CV in the first place . The vibes aren't as bad now , but the truck has settled a bit since 2004 .

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...my vibes are completley gone now...but I dont like the t-case lowered. Ive drug it (the skidplate anyways) over a lot of things. Im thinking about flipping the spacers back to the top of the frame before the SE Region trip to uwharrie for more clearance. From what I remember, with the t-case back up 1", the vibe was there but not really bad. That was 2+ years ago so maybe the truck has settled enough to raise it back up with minimal problems.

I researched this dilema when I was first debating what kind of lift to get. The answer I came up with is that there is no clear cut answer. I saw some people run the echobit flip with stock driveline with no prblems. Me (I forgot to add that I also had to lengthen the rear shaft a bit...maybe 1/2" i dont exactly remember....as well as add a cv)...ran into all kinds of vibes in stock form. I guess the best answer would be to try it without the cv and see what you get. That way...if you have no vibes...your done. If you have vibes...just drive it while you fix the cv.
    -Harrison

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have run my truck with 6" lift springs and a stock shaft for a few years with driveable vibration. My 6" springs have been worked over so they only offer about 4" of lift though. I have not rotated my axle up which would probably help but I have dropped the tcase a little bit to help reduce the vibs a little.

I don't get any vibs when I am on the gas or off the gas. Only when I am at the point where it is shifting between the two. I delt with it for awhile with no real concern. The only thing I have problems with is that my rear driveshaft (1350 ujoints) can be maked out at full droop in the center of the axle. I have the center of the axle limited for downtravel and it doesn't limit my flex. Sofar so good. I don't have to drive it every day anymore though which makes it a non-issue for me now.

If you have to choose a correct path I would save for a HAD shaft that is bulletproof. 1350 or 1410 CV with .250 wall. It won't be cheap but it should be damn tough.

I made my choice to run my truck without CV's because I can get spare driveshafts for $30-50 pretty regularly and they last a long time normally. I deal with the vibs so I can get the cheap and easy fixes for it. I don't have to have 1 or possibly 2 super expensive shafts. I have had the same rear driveline in my truck since I blew the tcase apart 2 years ago. If I hadn't done something wrong then I would have been fine and still had the stock shaft in my truck. As it sits I have 4 rear driveshafts for my truck and the most expensive one w/1350's cost me $50 + $30 for 2 new ujoints.

If you want and decide to run stockers with vibs let me know. I will bring you one of my spares that you can have. It isn't in the greatest shape but it would work to get you off a trail and home probably. The caps are a little loose and it needs some ujoints but free is free. I may even have some used ujoints you could throw in it.

Harley

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My old setup was as follows:

ORD 4" shackle flip
    2" add a leaf
    Perches cut and rotated 2 degrees
    Non-CV rear shaft
    1" t-case drop

No vibes all the way up to 65...and I never even balanced the tires. :eek1:

14. pauly383

Hehe , I have a stocker in there now , thats how I got home from Moab :D:D:D

Already posted up looking for some more in the wanted section . I learned well from the AZ crew :bow::bow: