Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip q's...HOLD YOUR FIRE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

has anyone done it with 2"lowering shackles?Ithought I read the idea on here but am not sure.if so,what kind of $$ are they and who sells them.i didn't see them in Summit or Jegs,and I don't know manufacturer names.also,in doing the home brew flip,could i use DIY 'h'-style shackles for the rear,or are those a front only application?I've got an abundance of 3/8x4"flat stock and a friend at a machine shop to build the 'h'shackles if they'd work.and lastly,does anyone have the measurements(leaf-spring eye) or part# for 2-piece urethane bushings for '79 K5 rears.thanks!

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you are using a lowering shackle on a flip, it's just like using the extended shackles from ORD or Kert at Diy. Some people don't do the flip, but use taller springs and the lowering shackle to get the truck back down some. I don't know the reasoning behind that, but it makes sense.

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

BANG! BANG! BLAMO!

Oops:o Sorry:doah:

:haha::D:haha:

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I have 2 inch drop shackles on the rear of my truck. Try searching for bell tech shackles.

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I have the bell tech 8" shackles. Be sure to brace the open side for strength.

6. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

so does the 2" drop shackle,flipped,give a lift of 6" as the stock shackle flipped gives 4" of lift?:confused: I'm just trying to get an easy 6" in the rear to go with the 6" in the front that i've already got.0$=0 DIY shackle flip.otherwise I'd already have them,and wouldn't be trying to figure this out.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

A 6" shackle will give you 1 additional inch of lift over the 4" shackle flip. This is due to the fact that you are only adding that to one end of the leaf spring. You'd have 5" total.

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

to get 6" of lift by just a flip and shackle you will be moving the back of the spring down 12". thats going to mess with your pinion angle.

If you are making the flip I would shoot for around 3" lift from that. a longer shackle that would net 1" lift and a 2" lift tapered block. a new 2' lift spring would be best but a block will work for now.

some times it pays to just pay someone else to make it for you. what is your time worth? and if it's not right and it breaks you could kill someone. I go to all the local car and truck shows. when it comes to home brewed stuff some guys get it right, most are dangerous cobbled together junk.

I encourage you to build your truck yourself. you can take great pride in the parts you made yourself. What I have learned is that sometimes its nice to have a part arrive at my door, bolt it on, and go wheeling.