Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coloradoblazers, Aug 26, 2001.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

shackle flip q\'s

Im on the second day of the shakle flip process. Besides Murphys Laws being in full effect I am almost complete. The only thing I need help on is getting the leaf spring off the front hanger. The nut is between the hanger and frame, so it is unacessable. The bolt is not gonna turn easily. How does everyone else get them off? (already went through several cans of liquid wrench, rust eater etc.)

K-5- because size DOES matter!

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: shackle flip q\'s

have not had the pleasure of doint it yet but an air hammer maybe?
    dunno..
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses

i have a truck, but i think the front hangers are the same, i went throught the top w/ a wrench and let it hit the hanger itself and manhandle the bolt off

Hut in the well is goin on in here?

sun desert offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, if the bolt has been there for a while chances are its rusted to the sleeve inside. The best bet is just to avoid the headaches of trying to wrench it and just go ahead and cut it off. Cut on both ends of the bushing with a hacksaw or a cutting wheel, and pop the spring out, then knock the ends of the bolt out. Saves a lot of hassles and swearing.
    I finished my shackle flip and brake conversion last week, and I just cut everything off and replaced it all.

Good luck

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

5. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing on my blazer :)

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I used a long wrench (I forget the size). I angled it in on the nut. (the side where the frame blocks half of the hanger) and then used an impact wrench on the bolt side and took it off that way.

OR,

I did this on my older truck a while back when I did the shackle flip (did it twice to two different trucks),
    Was I took that same long wrench and angled it in on the nut and took my 3lb sledge and started wacking it and that got the nut off (or should I say, loose) :) Good luck
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>