Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

Shackle flip Q\'s

ive got 3" fronts i want about 3-4" of lift for rear . i dont want to go thru the hassle and cost of the ord flip. i like everything about the echobit flip exept the 5.5 lift. is there anyway i can get that closer to 4? maybe remove the overloads? ideas? should i just bite the bullet and do the ord. i like the idea of a homeade " cut the stock hanger" idea causs its free, and only 3-3 1/2" lift. but it just seems weak. ideas?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Shackle flip Q\'s

Go with the cut through the hanger - It should put you right in the ball park of what your after. It does make it a little weaker but everything is a trade-off. If you can gusset the top, you can make up for it. The only draw back over my flip or the ord flip is both relocate the shackle mount forward by 1" for better droop.. you wont get this with a cut through.

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

its not weak unless you don't add a support strap. here's what i did on mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as stated above, this doesn't move the mounting point forward, so you'll lose a little flex.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly the type of gusseting I was speaking of! Nice! My stock hangers are still cut through even though I'm not using it that way anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, i think i'll go with the cut thru design, for now. did you weld the upper part of that gusset to the hanger? isn't that unsafe so close to the fuel tank?

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

posting this link for about the zillionth time. Tons of people doing shackle flips. This way is rather inexpensive and uses a factory bracket without cutting it. I welded it in but it can be bolted.

7. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

yeah, i welded the sides and top of that strap. its not close to the tank; i have a truck.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

Oh, well i guess i could jam some plywood or sheetmetal between the tank and frame to keep the hot stuff away. thanks again for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

decisions decisions... what tools to use for this cutting of the hangers. my options are 4" angel grinder, sawzall,cutting torch,big drill. I'd like to torch causs it would go much faster. but i dont want to get blown up. My uncle thinks its a bad idea as well to be torching so close to the gas tank. so im leaning towards drilling some pilot holes and using the sawzall to keep the sparks down. what do you all think? i want to do this asap, this weekend if possible

10. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Hey, ive been brainstorming my shackle free shackle flip ideas, and thats the best ive seen and it is what im gonna do now, THANKS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif