Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durantk5, Mar 2, 2005.

1. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

I am going to get a 6" Tuff Country suspension lift on my K5 and was thinking about getting the 4" ORD shackle flip and 2" springs. I was wondering if the amount of flex and ride quality was worth the work of getting those rivets out as opposed to getting 6" rear leaf springs. Also, does the shackle flip make the shackles hang down so low that they would get in the was of rocks and stuff on the trail? Thanks for the input.

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

a 2'' spring has less arch making it ride better than a 6'' spring. also the shackle being able to move around more will absorb some of the hits. no the shackles dont hang down that low if u use the stock shackles. mine are 7.5'' long and dont hang down low. if u plan on wheeling hard and using stock shackles i suggest beefing them up or finding someone like www.di4x4.com and buy some beefy shackles so they wont bend. shackle flips are awesome one of the best investments ive made on my truck also the flex is night and day with the shackle flip versus the 6'' spring. rivots arent that hard to get off just some grinding and some hammering they come off in about 30 minutes for me.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

definatly worth it

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Check out some of my threads on butt sag. I went with 6 inch TC's up front, 2 inch TC's out back with an ORD shackle flip. It was still low in the rear. I put in a 1 inch zero rate and still low. I ended up buying a 4 inch TC set of springs in the back which I just installed and kept the zero rate on. Now I have a total of 9 inches of lift in the back and it only sits one inch high. If I dropped the zero rate it would be closer to level but I carry a lot of gear so I don't mind it a little high now at empty. I have a Corp14ff out back and a D60 up front.

5. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I did the 6" TC lift spring up front and the 4" ORD shackle flip in the rear with a 3" spring. I also have a d60 an 14 bolt and it seems to sit pretty lvl. The rivets come out easy if you have a torch :weld: . I think it took a total of 30 mins to put the flip on. Here is a pic of how mine sits. Oh and by the way, it seems to have more than 6" of lift since a buddy of mine has an F-250 with an 8" lift and 37's and my Blazer is higher than his.

sidesmall.jpg

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Hey muddyblzr, that link you have there doesnt seem to work for me, I have the shackle flip already and have wanted to get some beefier rear shackles, anyone know the actual site muddyblzr posted or anyone else know someone that sells them?

7. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

8. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ahhh crap sorry about that forgot the y, i like that site alot high quality parts that guy makes and if your a ck5 member you get a discount so its win win. i highly suggest his stuff