Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Mar 4, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok this might have been covered befor but i cant seem to find it by searching...ok im putting a shackle flip in the burb...i have 56s stock...im gonna run a 7 inch shacle also....so do i need to move the shackle flip foward to acheive good shackle angle???or should i just put in place of the factory shackle????im only trying to achive the 4 inches out of the flip but i do want to have good shackle angle...

2. twoslo4five0

no one...:whistle:

3. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

i did ORD shackle flip and it was a pain to get the factory ones out. but when i put the new ones in i just kept it in the stock location. idono if this helps cause i have a 85 jimmy. but the ride on mine is a little better, i still need to get new bushings .

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I believe what most folks do with 56's is: Use the stock mounting holes, but run the left flip on the right side, and the right flip on the left side to make up for the slightly longer springs. The longer shackles will help with obtaining the correct angle on the shackles.

5. twoslo4five0

alright here is another thing im thinking about...the rig im putting the flip on is my tow rig...ive serached and read it seems to be fine to tow with a flip...but the question do you tow with a longer shackle???would this be unsafe???if no one on here tells me by tomm then im just gonna call stphen at ord and ask him his thoughts on it....

6. twoslo4five0

wouldnt the flip be upside down then...just trying to think this up in my head...my truck has 56s stock so i dont think mounting holes will be a problem...

7. txfiremank5

No, not upside down, just longer between eye bushings on the spring for vehicles that had 52" rears stock. But, if yours has 56" stock, then no need mounting them on opposite sides. I'm not 100% sure what to do there, except possibly move them forward slightly. That would help get the shackle in a better angle.

Maybe someone has a better idea than me.. :dunno:

8. twoslo4five0

any ideas on the towing with a good shackle angle???

9. txfiremank5

I would think that with all other things equal, towing should still be fine. The shackle simpley swings to allow the changes that happen to the spring pack durring compressionor or droop. It will go forward for droop, and backwards at first, and then forward for compression. As long as the angle isn't too extreme on the shackle, then it should be OK. It doesn't travel all that far backwards, so as long as enough room is left for it to move, while loaded down, I would think it would be OK.

Stephen would probably know better than I would.

10. twoslo4five0

yeah i think im gonna call him tomm...see towing is like a double edge sword...when your driving your tow rig around without a load you want it to be nice and soft like a caddilac..but if its like that under load you will have a ride from hell if its soft...you will be bouncing all over the place...

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

With you already running 56s you put the new brackets on the side they are designed for. There is no need to swap sides with the bracket. I have only read awhile back that you should not tow with a flip but no one could provide any proof as to why. I personally do not see a problem.

As far as your 7" shackle it will effect your pinion angle even more and I would recommend a cross braced shackle. You have seen pics of mine I run a 6" shackle and flipped the brackets from right to left and run a 6" shackle.
    diy4x6.JPG

In the pic you can see how the upper bushing is offset to the rear of the vehicle. For your application the bushing would be offset to the front.

Ira

diy4x6.JPG

12. twoslo4five0

i have a set of theese diy4x shackles with the stars in them...i guess the only real way to test out the shackle towing is to put it all togher and hook the trailer up with a load and see how it does...any thing is better than what i got now (5 inch block)...

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is plenty beefy. I thought you had a DIY shackle flip. The offset is the same for any flip manufacturer you want the offset to the forward end of the vehicle.

Ira

14. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

i don't think it will effect towing... if anything it will be smoother... but idono cause i don't tow with my rig but i would if i had a hitch. sounds like your going to do it, after i did mine i had to get a new drive shaft with a CV joint because the stock one sucked and vibrated the hell out of me around 25mph. even when i put shims in to angle the axle it was still bad until i got my new axle.

i don't think you will have a problem with that though because your only going to get 4" of lift. not really a big deal.

15. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

A shackle flip changes the spring from a tension to a compression
    style. It will change the spring rate some, it will be less, meaning less capacity. If you tow heavy loads it might be a problem. Some say it is others say its not.

When I did the shackle flip on mine the ride was much softer and the rear was easier to compress the springs. I could bounce the rear easier,way easier.
    George