Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Swanson52, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Just got the ORD shackle flip for my 83 Blazer. Any input on the easiest/most efficient way to remove the factory rivets from the tension shackle bracket?

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

4" angle grinder is what i used. it worked, but sucked (i hate grinding)

later rob

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I didnt have a grinder, so I drilled the heads off and pounded the rivet shafts out with a center punch and sledge hammer. Worked for me even tho it was much more of a PITA than a grinder woulda been. There are pics of the whole install on my webshots...

J

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A BURLY (probably snap on or equivalent quality) air chisel is the best way. You can smack the rivets with that thing and they just go away. A poor air chisel is a waste of time.
    Next up I'd look at drilling since it's less mess/noisy than a grinder. Grinding does work well though. If you're good with a torch and have all the flamable stuff out of the way you can torch the heads. That's a trickier operation.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Since I already had the gas tank out anyway, I used an acetalene torch. It took less than 2 minutes to completely remove the factory brackets. Just watch out for any wires or fuel lines behind the frame rails.

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I just did this tonite. Way easier than I expected. I used a grinder, (yeah i know its not the fastest or easiest, but with a good wheel it didnt take much time) Ground the heads off and then hit the BRACKET itself with a BFH. this popped off after a minute or 2 of good hits, leaving the irvits sitting there waiting to be knocked out of the frame (easy). Dont even bother punching the rivets out first.