Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Im in the process now of getting the hangers ready. I am going w/ the front hangers of a PU moved to the back.

What my question is, when placing the new hangers, should I move the bolt of the hanger forward at all. I am only going for 2 inches instead of the tradional 4.

I am just trying to avoid the shackle kicking over, and I dont really want to/ have time to play trial and error when there are so many here that have done it.

So should I keep the hanger bolt centerline where it is or move it forward?

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Well I did mine long time ago and put the bolts on center. Dang it is stiff. I gonna try the frd spring thing and then I'll give it 1/2" to 1" offset just to get moovement started /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pure Insanity

OK so that is back to where the centerline of what the original brackets were? What kind of brackets are those, and are they a 4" or 2"lift?

Rebel Run is less than 2 months away and Ill be low on time, and wont have much tweak time between the time I swap everything and the time when I have to leave for Ocala.

What I plan to do is support the frame on stands so I KNOW the Blazer cant move, and will be consistant, drop a plumb bob to the floor and mark where the shackle pivot bolt is from the factory. Then if I should move it forward, Ill measure that amount forward and mark that. Use the plumb bob again and hold it up to find where the new center needs to be. Then it will be place and drill time. I am thinking I shouldnt need more than 1/2-3/4 inch forward from where it is now, to give it a bit of a kick rearward.

4. florida4x4

heh, heh. I made em and they gave me 4-6" lift. I dont know for sure cause the truck was already lifted when I got it. Why not scratch a line on the frame at the edge of the factory mount and measure from there?

You gonna try to use a front spring shackle and bolt it on? Sounds like booty fab.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Can you weld/fabricate? When I did mine I cut the heads off the rivets with a torch, popped the rest out with an air hammer and used the factory mount as a guideline. My only mistake was putting the shackle bolt at the factory position instead of bringing it forward a little. I made the mount out of 3/8 so I guess I could redrill it but I am lazy /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I hear you about the 2 months thing. I still have lots to do and right now it looks like I wont make it...

5. Pure Insanity

This pic belongs to someone else, I dont remember his name, Ive had it in my favorites forever. But this is exactly what I am doing. Cept Im pushing mine up on the frame more. Infact after comparing my rough cut brackets to the front brackets on the Blazer, they are almost identical. flip pic As you can see in this pic the bolts are gonna be wider, (you can see the old holes between the uprights) and the sides of the new bracket are laid out at an angle. The plumb bob idea is the best thing I can think of. LOL!

I can weld and fabricate, but some things just arent worth the trouble. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. florida4x4

OH s*it! I thought you were using the hangers off the front spring... THat's what I get fo thinkin LOL! That looks good. Use the plumb bob just dont tell anyone. Oops! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Are you planning to use the front hanger off a 2wd or 4wd? Or are they even different? I have heard lots of opinions on this, and just happen to be curious. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Pure Insanity

HEHEHE! Sorry if I confused ya. So what do you think about moving the hanger forward a touch?

You know whats amazing, of ALLLL the people on here that have shackle flips, and all the people Ive tried to help in the last 2 yrs and 3200 plus posts Ive made helping others, your the only person trying to help. Thanx.

9. Pure Insanity

OOPS I stand corrected. Someone else has shown up. LOL!

The one Im using is off a 4wd, and Im cutting it down to the height I need. Im not sure if there is a difference in 2wd and 4wd. Although I have heard there is.

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

You still plan on runing GM 52 inch springs (my mental gears grind slowly...work with me here /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )?

11. Pure Insanity

I guess they are 52in. I never measured them. They are the stockers.

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Moving it forward will give the shackle a more aggressive (rearward) angle? I would do this. Better flex, from what I have seen.

13. Pure Insanity

Yeah moving the hanger forward will give a bit of a rearward angle to the shackle. I was mostly thinking of it to make sure the shackle doesnt flip in. I have only seen that happen a time or 2 but talk about a bad deal to try to get turned back around once it locks in! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Added flex will just be a side effect I have to live w/ I guess. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Florida4x4 said it rides rough straight up and down too. Looks like Ill move it forward about 3/4".

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I ran mine an inch forward when I had stock springs and the ride was slightly better than the stock 90 degree angle. You'll still use every inch of that 4" shackle at droop, even with the 1" forward offset. You could stand to have an inch longer shackle on those stock springs at full droop and still take advantage of it but a 6" shackle is too long for stockers flex (perhaps your shocks bottom first).

15. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One thing to consider - once the shackle moves past a straight down (90deg) position towards the rear - the spring rate changes at a higher rate. I'm probably not saying that exactly right, but what it means to me is that if you load the rear of the truck - like towing - and you get enough downward force on the rear - as the shackle moves rearward in its arc - the spring gets "softer" - which resists the downward force less - which lets the truck get squirrelly. This is one (as I understand it) of the reasons there are concerns with towing with a shackle flip. Just food for thought - doesn't affect you if you don't tow or carry loads.

16. Pure Insanity

Yours give 5in IIRC, and you went 1in forward. I am only going 2in. (Im gonna raise the bolt centerline UP 2in from where it is now.) So maybe 3/4in is a safe bet?

I really dont want to drill the new holes in the frame, bolt it up to set PI down and realize I made a mistake. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Ive looked into doing a flip a few times but kept thinking I didnt want to do it because of how low it would hang (IMO). Then I started thinking about moving the hanger up and only getting 2in. I am also trying to avoid shimming or having to move the axle to the rear to compensate for the amount it will move forward when the rear half of the spring swings down.

Maybe Im over thinking it all. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Really max flex is not a major concern. Not much to flex on in Fla. Im just trying to scootch a few more inches (2) out of it while retaining the springs becasue I like the ride and how it flexes now.

17. Pure Insanity

Good point AZ. I have read some of towing concerns and wondered about that. I never thought of rate change. The further rear it kicks, the easier it is to continue going over. I just thought it was the difference between compression and tension style of shackle. (I think its tension style right?)

On the brite side PI is already to tall to tow a trailer w/, so I have never towed w/ it, so I guess I wont miss that. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Very good point though.

18. florida4x4

Aww come on ! It's never tooo tall to tow /forums/images/icons/grin.gif If you put the shackle in at an angle it will allow the spring to enongate faster. If you worried about stability just pull the spring pack off that flat bed thats bound to be in a yard nearby. woof! For that matter just mount it solid. har!

ok, you need to think out how far the shackle will travel before it binds on the spring. Too soft a spring + big mud holes and (sooner than later) BANG! parts man will be happy to lighten you wallet /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Now I'm thinking "anyone have a link to the revolving shackles"?

19. Pure Insanity

OK well it looks like Ill have to fess up to the fact that I just dont tow. LOL! Im the guy that drives around the building 8 times till I get a good line to get up close w/out backing up. No matter how many times I try to back a trailer and how much I practice it, I just cant do it. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

I thought about revolvers, but not sure how often Ill ever need that much. Central Fla doesnt have much of a need for flex really. Its all flat. Hell I know of 1 rock bigger than my head! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif LOL! Where exactly are you at in N.Fla?

I think 3/4" will do me OK. If not Ill have to drop it back apart and try again. Im hoping 1 bolt will be able to be used from the old location so that I can do a rough mock up, and decide on the spot where I need to be.