Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip question?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Oct 5, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have your 4inch shakle flip brackets on my truck and was thinking of putting 57inch ford springs on it. I have the 52inch springs on it now. my question is if I switch from left to right will that give me enough length to do the swap or will I need to move the brackets back and switch sides? any info on this would be greatly apperciated.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

take a look at the discussions that have been going on about this...but basically, no, you'd have to move it back and re-drill the spring pin.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You have to switch sides and move back to get decent shackle angle out of it. And from what I hear, you have to re-drill the ford spring also just to get the axle back to the stock location.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

re dril, or flip the springs front to back and move the axle back about 4.5 or so inches....
    grant

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    re dril, or flip the springs front to back and move the axle back about 4.5 or so inches....

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to move the hanger back and then You can use the ord's zero rates to get the pin in the right place.If you are using the ord shackle flip then you need to swap sides on the shackle and move the bracket back,also you will need longer shackles that are used to LOWER a truck (because they are longer then the stock one's..They should be like 1.5 to 2 inches longer..) also the spring pin pad hole will need to be enlarged.The ferd's spring pack pin is larger than GM's...
    Here is a few tech articule's... F-150 swap
    rene's write up
    Borrago's shacle brackets and F-150 swap parts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

do you sell some sort of rods to maintain the axle position because of soft spring wrap?

7. Seventy4Blazer

all good points, i was just refering about moving the axle back. the ORD Zero rate and ford springs, through discussion with others, i do not feel they would be a good idea. the ford springs are soft as most have fund out. they have axle wrap enough, add another inch of leverage to the combo...
    maybe we are wrong, i dunno. but you do put a few more ideas in the post origonators head.

i already "run" the springer sutup....
    i got my ford springs...
    grant

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

all good points, i was just refering about moving the axle back. the ORD Zero rate and ford springs, through discussion with others, i do not feel they would be a good idea. the ford springs are soft as most have fund out. they have axle wrap enough, add another inch of leverage to the combo...
    maybe we are wrong, i dunno. but you do put a few more ideas in the post origonators head.

i already "run" the springer sutup....
    i got my ford springs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had the "set up" REALLY.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but no money for that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif...lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I am leaning towards the borrago's kit /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif ...And like you said grant if you are thinking about towing anything with the ferd's...Forget it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif..They are way to soft for that...mike

9. Seventy4Blazer

trust me man, i couldnt afford it ethier... but i made it so i could.... ill send you a PM.
    i almost have a job at a local wrecking yard... just have to get the ok from his insurance company... :crossed fingers:
    marv said something one day that got my interest sparked.... he was talking about airbags....
    got me thinking about a "quick disconect" air bag setup... once i get myrig running i am going to look into it.
    grant

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

trust me man, i couldnt afford it ethier... but i made it so i could

[/ QUOTE ]

HE HE HE What like selling me your doors...LMFAO...mike
    Ok pm me...later mike