Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1HIHUM, Nov 26, 2000.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I am planning on adding a flip to my blazer, and I was wondering if there is an increase in body roll as a result of the flip. Any other ride characteristic changes. Thanks for any input!

[​IMG]

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

how do you do a shackle flip? do u HAVE to have new shackles or does it take the old ones?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

3. FWP

FWP CRS

I have one on my shortbed- ORD's (the blazer got rear spings), and I don't have any issues with roll. However the driveline angles are off even with 4 degree shims, causing vibration. When I first put it on the pinion was 2 degrees...in the wrong direction! Only complaint I have.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey 1HIHUM, my buddy saw your Blazer the other day and said "Man,that rig is bad ass" I am still wanting to see it. Anyways my buddy is looking for a Blazer for his next rig.... Sorry I just had to tell you....

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You can either buy flipped shackles or take the ones you have and cut a hole so that you reinstall them upside down.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eric. I already have the ORD flip kit(not installed yet). My sister in law has this kit on her 72. But she has an enormous amount of body roll. I rode in it this weekend, and it rides nice and soft...but it sways like a damn tree in the wind. I don't want to install the flip kit if I'm going to get a similar ride. I am going to a crossover steering set up next month, and I'm not sure I'll be able to put in a sway bar to control body roll, if I encounter it with the flip kit installed. And thanks for the input fellas!

[​IMG]

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That kind of body roll is probably not caused by the shackle flip. It is probably caused by one or more of the following:
    -worn out springs
    -no sway bar
    -shocks that are worn out or too soft.

A shackle flip should give you identical body roll to a set of lift blocks. Lift springs will probably reduce body roll because they have a higher spring rate (stiffer), but they will also make the ride harsher and reduce flex. The guys who run without a sway bar usually have stiff lift springs, which is why it is less noticeable on their rigs.

I noticed no change whatsoever in body roll after replacing my rear blocks with a shackle flip. From the stock setup to the lifted setup, body roll was reduced, since my front springs were then stiffer.

BTW: The shackle is the piece that connects the rear of the leaf spring to the bracket on the frame. You use the same shackle with a shackle flip kit, it just sits the other way up (in compression instead of tension). What you replace (or modify) is the bracket. The name really makes sense!

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."

8. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Blue, I know what they are, I have the kit already. I'm just trying to figure out why she has such severe body roll when she has two year old 8" springs all the way around the truck , with new rs9000's set at 3. She has no sway bar, but neither do I right now. I guess it's something else. Thanks for the input though!

[​IMG]

9. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I've had the shackle flip on my 70 Jimmy for awhile now, but just (really, just, as withing the last couple of hours) put the body back on the frame. While it seems nice that I can have less arch in my springs for the my desired lift height, the shackle flip has the effect of moving the axle forward. The rear wheels are no longer centered in the wheel well. It appears that this is going to create tire clearance problems at the front part of the rear fender once I get bigger tires on there. Just wanted to let everyone know...and perhaps someone has a suggestion.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

10. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

...or perhaps it doesn't have that effect at all, maybe I haven't seen the body on my Jimmy in so long that I have no idea what I'm talking about? Can any other first genners say whether or not their wheel is centered in the wheelwell?
    ...need to lay off the crack...

11. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

yes, the tire is moved forward in the wheelwell, this is
    something that is bugging me. I have 32" tires on right now
    and wanted to move up to 35". my old springs are kind of
    saggy, and I'm planning on replacing them. I think I am going to try and see if I can get custom springs made and
    have the centerpin moved back, so the wheels line up in the
    well again. Has anybody tried this, good idea or bad idea?

[​IMG]

12. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I called Stephen Watson at ORD to ask about this...he said that there are a couple of good ways to move the axle back that won't compromise the structural integrity of the spring
    --you can move the bracket that holds the shackle back a couple of inches and use longer springs
    --he also said he could make a pad that fits between the spring pack and the spring pad on the axle that will move the axle back an inch or two (it would have a center pin moved back)
    that's all i have to offer on that topic...i'm thinking about going with the pad he said he can fabricate

13. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

Did he give you any idea on the price of this? I'm very
    interested in using a pad in mine.

14. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

As far as the body roll, I would definaitely say it's becasue your swaybar is off. I just got done installing the ORD Swaybar disconnect kit after riding without a swaybar for 3 weeks and I totally noticed a difference. Plus I also noticed it big time when I first took it off, but over time I got used to it. From now on the only time I'm disconnecting the swaybar is for offroad purposes. There may be other factors with you, but I bet the main factor is no swaybar.

Mich89k5

15. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

When I bought my '89, it came with 2 Rancho 5000's at each wheel. The ride was super stiff (like an empty dump truck) and there was zero body roll. To make the ride more reasonable, I removed one shock per wheel. The ride improved significantly but I now get some body roll. I think the shocks are one element that contributes to body roll, but not the sole cause. Just my .02

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

16. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

Stephen didn't give me a price on those pads; I can't really even speculate, but give him a call, he is always helpful and it seems he really enjoys talking to customers.

17. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I took some quick measurements. If you install the flips on the opposite sides as they were intended, you should get about two inches movement to the rear and then move the flip back another two inches and that will give you four inches of total movement to the rear. Then you should be able to use some 56" springs to compensate for the difference. In my mind this should work, but it could be an inch too far back, this could help the departure angles. But I would like to get ORDs opinion on this.

18. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

when I talked to stephen, he mentioned flipping the brackets to the opposite side...you might talk to him about how far one should move the brackets back in order to use 56" springs

19. Blue85

I think that problem has more to do with lift blocks than with the shackle flip. With the stock spring geometry, the shackle flip shouldn't move the axle forward very much at all, because after the flip, the spring is almost level with the ground. When you put a lift block under a stock spring, you move the axle backwards, since the angle of the spring is sloping upwards from front to back. Then, when you pull out the block and put in the flip, you see your axle move forward an inch or two from what you're used to. Those pictures do make it look too far forward, but my rig doesn't look like that at all. What is different between the suspensions on the first, second and third generations?

"All right...who keeps squirting this oil in my driveway?"

20. Blue85

OK. I just ran some rough geometry, assuming that the spring sits at an angle of 12 degrees from level in the stock setup and that the distance from the center of the spring pack to the axle axis is 4 inches. This shows that a shackle flip moves your axle forward .5 inches from stock and that a 4 inch lift block (sorry, didn't figure in taper, but it will reduce this number a little bit) moves the axle backwards from stock about .8 inches. So the total movement (all of this is figured in the horizontal plane) when replacing blocks with a flip is 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" forward. I also made the simplification that the spring is flat and 52" long, but of course the taper is going to make a small difference.

The good news is that the shackle flip will make the stock driveshaft fit a little better that blocks.

I think that lift springs would also move the axle back a little bit. How dangerous is it to drill a new hole through the spring pack?

"All right...who keeps squirting this oil in my driveway?"