Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle-flip question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Danswift79, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

I was searching the web about your shackle-flip product, and I noticed that on this web site, the hanger is angled back and on off-road.com's site it is angled forward. I had grasped that the proper position is back, but the off-road site shows it forward. I just thought I would make sure which way it is supposed to be.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

This is a point of common confusion, and I didn't help that much with my own rig. The proper way to install the flip kit is with the mounting point for the shackle moved forward from the centerline of the bracket. Confusion was created by my installing my flip brackets on my k5 on the wrong side of the frame to move the mounting point back to allow me to run a longer spring. Some pics of that have filtered out and get people mixed up.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

It is kind of hard to tell in the pic, but it is angled forward like Stephen said.

[​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

4. Danswift79

maybe I didn't word this right due to idiocy. The part of the suspension that actually bolts to the spring is what I'm referring to. On your picture, it appears to cantered slightly back, while over at Off-road.com they have it tilted or angling forward. I don't think it is a hanger, guess its the shackle itself (DUH on my part). What happens if the shackle is forward and the axle flexes compared to it being back at an angle. Sorry for the Layman's terms, but I really am confused. I don't know. Maybe different spring lengths look different when mounted.

5. Danswift79

Here, this is what they have on the site's opening review page and Ck5's review. I think you will see what I mean[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Shackle angle can really vary, and I think you're looking at a flip kit with a lift spring which will stand the shackle up a little more straight up and down depending on the brand and the overall length of the main leaf. It may also be a drooped view. We have a hard time matching all the variables with different rear springs, but what we ended up with works pretty well in general for most applications.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD