Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip questions.....

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 90blzr, Jul 19, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I talked to a shop today and they said that they didnt recommend any type of flip because the axle will tend to bounce around, how I'm not sure. He said it will flex great, but the driveablity will decrease. He said the only way he would do it is to put a panhard bar on. Any comments on this.
    I already have the flip waiting to install, but this just made me curious. I believe it is a good product just from all of the people who give it such great reviews, on and off road. And the fact that it will allow me to use a 4" spring instead of an 8". I just want to make sure it is the right thing to do.
    Next question. I am planning on an 8" BDS lift. 8" springs in front with ORD HD shackles and the 4" flip out back (greasable bolts/bushings throughout). My question is how accurate is the 4" flip? I mean is it a true 4"? I will also be getting the relocation block when it is available to move the axle back to its original location, so that would give me another 1" I assume. So thats 5" in back. The reason I am asking is because I dont know if I should get the 4" springs or the 5.5" springs so it sits level. So I need to know how true the 4" flip really is because I think I saw a post somewhere that said it was not a true 4". Any info anyone has is greatly appreciated!

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Bounce around? mines a daily driver and the only time it bounces around is when I drive over really big things really fast, of course the whole Blazer bounces around then. [​IMG] Have you read <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml</a> yet? The flip gave me 4-1/4" of lift from the 4" blocks that I had. I think the relocation blocks can go as thin as a 1/4" but Stephen would have to verify, I run the 1" ones to cure saggy butt.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hey how long has that been there?! I must have missed it [​IMG] I kinda thought that guy was full of sh*t but just had to cover the bases, ya know. This is the same guy who told me I should use blocks in the rear, so I know something was up. Should have just went with my instinct. Thanks for the reassurance Steve! Its just one of those things, you have your mind set on something, and then you hear just enough to make you wonder, so that is when there is no othere choice, take it to the Peoples Court...CK5 [​IMG][​IMG] I love this place!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90blzr on 07/20/01 04:24 AM.</FONT></P>

4. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

What relocation blocks are you talking about Steve?

Greg

5. CK5

0 rate add-a-leafs with an off-set center pin hole to relocate the axle rearward or forward. I run a 1" add-a-leaf with the center pin off-set 1-3/4" to the rear.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

6. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

And these add a leafs don't effect articulation- 0 rate - correct but bring up the rear with the thickness?

7. CK5

Correct

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Greg, they don't mess with rate at all, they're only 5" long. We have to call them an add-a-leaf since the bolt into the pack, and zero rate since they're not much longer than the perch.

Everyone here is right on with the flip kit. Common misconception is that you get a lot of lateral movement when you have the shackle going the other way, but you still have the same number of bushings controlling the lateral movement whether it's a block or a shackle flip kit. And the same distance between the forces you're trying to control, so it really doesn't matter.

A lot of people also confuse "sway" with lateral motion. Sway is the commonly defined as body roll around corners, and maybe uncontrolled body roll around corners, like if the shocks are bad. ANY lift, no matter what the method will create more body roll simply because you're raising the CG of the truck (there are other details that matter, but not in this case).
    Lateral motion is hard to feel when you're driving and is often confused with body roll.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The flip should be an exact 4" lift just the same as a block, since it's a mechanical lift method that doesn't depend on the spring's characteristics. There are other factors that play into it, but you can count on the flip being really close to 4".
    One thing to keep in mind is getting ride heights exact is pretty tough without doing the lift and then fine tuning it. It's hard to use all the combos of springs and truck weights to get it exactly right. That's why we have "tuning" stuff!
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Gotcha [​IMG]!! Thanks for clearing everything up!!

11. Arizona_Mike

Arizona_Mike Registered Member

I get a little bounce from mine. But I have a little different set up then what was entended. take a look at what I did and you might see why.

www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat....4&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;part

(I can't figure how to do a link on this forum
    The bounce I get is very small and only when taking off from a stop, goes away at 3-5 mph. Resson is the airbags expand when torque to the axle from take-off. A panhard might help my setup. The ride is fantastic though!!!

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

clickable: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ord&amp;Number=133349&amp;page=4&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;part>www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ord&amp;Number=133349&amp;page=4&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;part</a>