Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip Ride??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88k5canyon, Oct 10, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

Well I'm thinking about getting rid of the old blocks and add a leaf to do an echofab shackle flip, has anyone done this and how is the ride? Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    David /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the ride will be smoother than with the addaleaf...just like stock...but 4 inches higher

ryan

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I just bought the echobit one. I'll let you know onc eI put it all in!

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

who is echobit?

nathan

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Shipped yours today. Thanks. How does that 3" exhaust sound with the high flow cat? flowmasters?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

On mine? sounds great. Acutally lead me to find some floorpan rot!

A few months ago, I said, "gee, this sure sounds a lot louder inside than it used to.
    sure enough, two fist sized holes, one on each end of the tail pan. I didnt really bother repairing it oh too much, I just Sanded it down, cleaned it up, POR 15'ed it, used some por putty and some POR fiberglass, then just covered it with some aluminum siding. then sealed the whole thing down with Some underbody coating. I think it will hold, but who really knows. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

On the even funner side, it sounds even better burbling underwater. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I may have to bend the exhaust or something, might be in the way after doing the flip. we'll see...

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I can relate. Much of my rocker panels and the usual floorpan areas were rusted up. Regularly get fumed with the top on. I'm running true dual exhaust (no cats) and some cheapo turbo mufflers that came with the truck. The whole system ends before the rear axle and points down. I figured exhaust would be the last item I'd upgrade after everything in the rear was relocated (shocks, 57" springs, wrap control). I'm about ready to grab a set of thorly try-y's and a 2 into one crossover then a single 70 series flowmaster. Looking to compliment the bottom end torque and keep a low murmer to the exhaust tone. Should be easy to route out one side before the rear tire. You'll have to record that gurgling sound for me, I'm building a soundtrack made completely out of various 4x4 sounds for the next video. Swampers on asphault makes a good chorus!

The stock pipes exiting under the stock shackle hanger do tend to get in the way of a flip. I ran mine exiting out the back for a while but have since ripped the whole exhaust off on a boulder.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Didn't mean to heist your post. When I first shackle flipped my K5, I used the cut through the hanger method to eliminate my 4" blocks. It rode a little softer but sat a little low in the back due to sag in the stock springs. I had to cut quite a bit of the stock hanger to get a full range of motion. This is when I came up with the bolt on flip. The ride is a little softer than the cut through method due to the shackle mounting an inch further forward. I was pretty happy with the flex and made full use of my ProComp ES3000 shocks travel. However, the rear was still more stiff than the Rancho 4" front, moguls would get the back end bucking (a softer shock might help this). When I swapped out to the ford 57's, everything changed and the back is now much softer and much more controllable than the front. Those ES3000's actually do a good job of dampening the 14 bolt and 38's with the Ford 57's, an accidental combo which proved to work well and cost very little. The hardest part on a shackle flip (regardless of which one you buy) is setting the pinion geometry correct for your setup, after that it just works, and works well.