Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Oct 2, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Shackle flip ?\'s

Hey everybody. I've got two questions about doing a 2.5" shackle flip on my 90 (currently stock) K5.

The first is kind of a stupid question. From what I have seen, the shackle flip is for the rear only. What about the front end?

With just the 2.5" lift, what kind of mods need to be made to everything else (drivetrain, lines, hoses, wires, etc)?

Thanks everybody!

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Shackle flip ?\'s

The shackle set-up on a stock K5 in the rear is a tension shackle, in other words the shackle and spring are above the pivot point. When you do a shackle flip in the rear you are moving the shackle and spring to below the pivot point making it a compression shackle. This will gain you a little over 4".
    In the front the shackle already is a compression arrangement with the shackle being mounted through the frame. The only way to gain lift up front to match a shackle flip in the rear would be either lift springs (4") or longer shackles and milder lift springs.
    Your driveshaft length should always be checked after a lift but generally the stock pieces are alright for a lift of 4" or less.
    Brake line length will have to be either extended or relocated.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

ORD does make a 2.5" shackle flip kit. It is like the 4" kit except that the brackets don't come down as far from the frame. If you do a 2.5" shackle flip and want more lift later, I think that you should be able to use those long shackles that guys use to (*shudder*) lower thier trucks. Since your shackle is flipped, it should give you the same amount of lift that they are advertising as drop. Of course, after doing the ORD 2.5" kit, the 4" kit would be really easy to do, except that the ORD kit is about $180 and longer shackles are $50 or less. At some point, lengthening the shackles has to start making the suspension behave strangely.

Back to the issue at hand, you have a few options to level the front of the truck with the 2.5" that you did in the rear.
    -add a leaf + longer front shackles + shims.($75?)
    -2.5" lift springs ($220?)
    -springs off a 3/4 ton truck (not recommended)

Before investing in a pair of front leaf springs, make sure that you will not want to go any higher later (within an inch or two, anyway) since these are the most expensive lift components. As always, it's best to build with your finished product in mind from the start.

With 2.5", your front brake lines will be fine. Your rears will need one of those cheesy brackets that lifts the little block up higher than the differential or something equivalent. Driveshafts will be fine. Steering will probably be OK. You may want to look into longer bumpstops for the rear, but don't worry about it unless your wheeling is likely to ever really stuff the rear end. The most important modification will be to get bigger tires :)

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Oh, I almost forgot, you'll have to shim the rear axle to get the driveline angles right. If you want to know how to do this, do a search. I know that I've posted on it in detail before.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

One other option for the front. Take your front springs to a (big) truck spring shop and have them rearched.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com