Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip? shackle angle after?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just finished doing my shackle flip. I used the stock hangers, cut open the bottom, and reinforced them. With the same springs, blocks removed, the shackle angle seems to leaning foward alot more? The shackle bolts are NOT tight yet. Was gonna let things settle before i tightened them up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

What did you gain for hight? I'm going 8" next weekend if the all goes well.
    I sit higher in the rear being a k20 so I'm not sure what I need in the rear
    I have 2" AAL and 5.5 blocks. I'm hopeing to get away from the blocks with a simular flip.
    Having done that flip would you recomend that or useing a set of front hangers.We got just about anything to fab with so reiforcing the sock hanger is no prob. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I have about 10 parts trucks so they are right handy for me. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Thanx for any input , also nice to see someone from upstate. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow that is beyond a bad angle. I've never seen one that bad through homegrown. Are those lift springs? I can't imagine why but maybe they are shorter springs. I know its done in the front but can't think why the rear would be shorter.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Hey Henry, remove that 1" zero rate and extend that shackle 2" and you should be set.

5. bablazer73

They are lift springs. They are Rancho 2" lift with the overload removed. Same springs i've had in truck for 4 years. Most the weight is in the truck now except for the other battery, bare tailgate, and some spare parts. I'm gonna take a couple 100 lbs, and set in the back and see if it changes.

6. bablazer73

I took out the 4" blocks. I gained the 4" back with the flip. I also have a Z-rate in it to level truck out.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It looks like you did more than just cut the bottom of the hanger out; it looks like most of the stock hanger is gone! Is that photo with the weight on the suspension or with blocks/jacks on the frame?

Maybe it's because the springs have a lot of arch, without any more length. You should have had a steep shackle angle to begin with, though.

On mine with the truck sitting on it's tires, the shackle is near vertical.

8. bablazer73

Thats sitting on the tires!! I didn't really take notice to what the angle was before I took it apart. I know the shackle was leaning foward when i took it apart, But the suspension was hanging and pulling the shackle.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Move your hanger forawrd about 2" and you should be fine. The lift springs arch must pull the spring eyes closer together which with a normal hanger wouldn't be a problem. My angle is a little off with stock springs but not as bad as yours. I think it is the lift springs.

[​IMG]

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I agree, move the hanger foreward a few inches and see if that helps. I think the extra arch on the springs is pulling the spring eyes together instead of a stock configuration which would push the eyes away from each other. Simple fix though since you've already removed the hanger. just drill some new holes and maybe install a longer shackle just for a little more travel.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

here's a dumb question. is that suspension loaded or unloaded? if its unloaded (hanging from the frame with no weight supported by the springs/shackles/alxes wouldnt it cause the whole setup to droop, and move the shackle forward? putting weight on it might bring it back to an acceptable angle. what is the ideal shackle angle?

12. bablazer73

Thats fully loaded!! All the weight is on them. But, This is the same springs(and frame) that was under the 76. No top, no cab roof. So i'm sure thats 1 reason why.