Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip ? still able to haul weight ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Dec 23, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

can you still haul weight after a basic rear spring shackle flip ?

you dont really have to remove the spring hanger bracket from the frame rail to do this right ? what are the gains that you get by doing this ? hyow much does it raise back of the truck ? back ride any differently than before flip ?

and what size and grade are stock shackle bolts ? man they must be strong they have to hold a ton of weight esepcially whehn truck is loaded down, if one of them bolts ever broke them damn..... could be a bad thing to happen /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

By the concern over removing the bracket I assume you are doing a home made style. Yes it is possible to make it work without removeing the bracket (I did mine this way). A lot of gusseting is needed for a well built load bearing design. The oringinal shackle is not up for the task. It will collapse (3 of mine did). Build one out of at least 1/4" make it look like a capital "A" and that should work.
    The stock bolts are 9/16, there is a debate as to use grade 5 or grade 8. G5 will bend before it will shear and hopfully not fall apart. G8 will shear very quickly when overloaded (ask me how I know).
    I will try to get some pics of my C.E.E. flip for you and the shackles I made to match.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All stock rear spring bolts are 9/16-18 about 5" long or so. Shackle flips make your rear suspension really soft and flexy and lift varies with which one you choose.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

On the grade issue:

Stock bolts are grade 8 I believe.

Grade 5 bolts will not only bend, but they will break before a Grade 8 bolt will BEND.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

look again, most if not all stock bolts are grade 5

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    look again, most if not all stock bolts are grade 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Body bolts I know for a fact are 5s, but I think the ones I cut out of my rear springs were 8s. I am not sure what I replaced them with, one or the other, probably 5s, which are plenty anyway.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah homemade stock flip

i wouldnt think that grade 5 would be able to streth when are used for shackles since use a nut, would keep the bolts pulled tight straight

humm..

and does this flip add much height to rear of truck ?

do you think stock hangers would still be weak after welding a piece across tops of them after the flip ?

thanks

8. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

my suburban had grade 8 bolts stock on all the springs and I think all the body mount bolts were grade 8 but the rad support had grade 5s

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so there ar emore than three line son the bolt heads on the spring ends and shackles ? 5 lines ?

10. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

3 lines = Grade 5
    6 lines = Grade 8

most other marks are manufacturer, not important

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have a half ton short box pickup and tow a 6000 pound travel trailer with a shackle flip for about 2 years and have had no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well hopefully stock bolts either come off in good condition, or they have markings on the heads so i can get replacement ones just like them, im sure are rusted real bad though

thanks

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a half ton short box pickup and tow a 6000 pound travel trailer with a shackle flip for about 2 years and have had no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is, whether he's trying to haul 6000 lbs of concrete in the back of his truck, or on a trailer.

I've personalyl only loaded the back of my truck up with about 2000 lbs worth of bricks/concrete. Flip held up without any problems. I was afraid of bumps sending bricks flying though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im sure are rusted real bad though

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love that Midwest Rust!!! I had a body mount disc fall off of my K5 when I went on an RTI ramp a few weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Youll get 4" from a homemade shackle flip. When i did mine I replaced all bolts with grade 8.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

The question is, whether he's trying to haul 6000 lbs of concrete in the back of his truck, or on a trailer.

I've personalyl only loaded the back of my truck up with about 2000 lbs worth of bricks/concrete. Flip held up without any problems. I was afraid of bumps sending bricks flying though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

anywhere from a ton to two ton depending on how much we load her down

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Youll get 4" from a homemade shackle flip. When i did mine I replaced all bolts with grade 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks MAtt /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    im sure are rusted real bad though

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love that Midwest Rust!!! I had a body mount disc fall off of my K5 when I went on an RTI ramp a few weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah rust is great /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

where in IL were you from ?

thanks

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt think that would be a problem normally- however, when you do your own flip, it really is cutting down on some of the original structural design of the hanger. By how much, I dont know, but I do know that either the ORD, or the Echobit will retain / increase the stock capability.

The home made versions vary, by how much you end up cutting yourself.

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

basically all the kit is is an aftermarket hanger, right ? if so then heck i can just make my own after a few measurements and after locating some plate steel /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    thanks