Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip, stupid question?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joryyroj, Mar 24, 2005.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

sorry for the stupid question, but what is the reason for the shackle flip, and how hard, whats involved to do it? Thanks in advance!

Jory

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm getting ready to do one, can only tell you what I've heard here. I'm doing it to get rid of the rear blocks, apparently the flip results in a net 4" of lift, but since our trucks have saggy butts, I'm adding a zero rate for another inch. As far as difficulty, seems to vary. You have to remove your old springs and hanger, which involves getting the factory rivets off, heard it can be a pain. You also ideally replace all bushings in you springs with new greasables from ORD, aslo seems to be a pain to get the old ones out. When ready to mount the flip you have to either enlarge holes in frame or make new ones to mount it. There is a detailed write up in the tech section here and on offroaddesign.com, actually I just looked they are both here:http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

3. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

ahhh I get it

Ohh I get it I think. So in my case, I purchased new 4"rear springs, so the shackle flip doesnt make sense for me. Is that right?

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

yes, you don't need a shackle flip then.

5. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

A 4 inch spring is going to be a lot stiffer than a stock spring due largely in part to the shape of it (more arched). Rear blocks are nice because they are cheap and you retain a nice flexy rear spring. The problem is that you get a bit of axle wrap.

With a shackle flip you get the best of both worlds, a nice flexy spring without the axle wrap. If you are just going for a 4 inch lift and you already have the rear spring then you definitely won't need to do a shackle flip as well. On the other hand, you could do a 6-8 inch lift using that rear spring as well as a shackle flip.