Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip...unforseen probs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 5, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have an '85 jimmy...currently has a 4" rancho lift, with blocks in the rear. I recently picked up a ORD shackle flip kit, revolvers, extended break lines, and ORD HD shackles for the front and would like to install them.

Question: for anyone that has installed the schtuff listed above...did said installation cause any unforseen problems? I'm thinking bad vibes, pinion angle issues etc. I already have a vibe problem (classic 208 slip yoke issue...let off the gas at anything over 30 mph and it vibes).

I know I'll need to go to long-travel shocks to take advantage of all these toys, and will need a set of stock-length u-bolts for the rear...but is there anything else? I am weary of going ahead with the install...because I am not all that rich right now, and I dont want my truck stuck in the shop yet AGAIN for an _unforseen_ problem! ;)

thanks MUCH in advance!

J

2. my only problem was the vibration. just make sure you get the right shims to get your pinion back where it should be. i put 2.5s in but they are not enough. i still have some vibration. i think i'll go 4 degrees. other than that, i love it.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

1. You might have have have you drive shaft shortened....this kit moves the axle forward aprox 1 inch.
    2. You might also have to shim down your axle.
    3. HAVE FUN!!

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Hmmm wierd. I didnt have to use any shims at all and I get NO vibrations. Was a simple bolt on job for me and all was well.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the pinion angle shims?Im in need of these badly.I might just rlocate the spring pads but would like to try shims first.