Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip v/s rear blocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigarmzz, Dec 31, 2005.

1. bigarmzz

bigarmzz 1/2 ton status

i'm just a poor ol' hillbilly here in west virginia, all we have ever done to lift these things is to get the front springs and rear blocks...(standard)

(or been tight and added some leafs):rolleyes:

now that i've been on this board awhile now, i see most all recommend a rear shackle flip....why exactly is that?

why not get the lifted rear springs?...you'll prob end up needin to change the rear bushing wont ya? they never seem to co-operate

thanks, i love this board:bow:

2. blublaz

blublaz 1/2 ton status

of course getting rear lift springs is a better way of lifting your rig ,but ,the cheap way is the shackle flip ,it gives you 4 inches of lift and its cheap ....just some grinding and cutting .ive been running a shackle flip w/a 14bolt , 36swampers and a 2inch block forever and never had a problem ......but i guess its just personal preferance ...good luck Don

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The more arch a spring has the worse it'll ride and the less it'll flex (in very general terms) A shackle flip retains the stock riding and good flexing springs and nets 4" of lift. It's a win/win deal IMO.

Blocks in the rear create a lot of leverage and axle wrap...

Rene

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I prefer the shackle flip. Even if they were the same price. IMO the shackle flip allows more flex than a lifted spring and gives a better ride and it kinda self adjusts the pinion angle.
    Plus after you have been wheelin for a while and decide to go with the 56" rear springs, all you have to do is swap sides on the hangers and the job is done.(using the ORD flip kit)

5. bigarmzz

bigarmzz 1/2 ton status

wow, two replies in like 10 minutes!..i love this board for quick info:bow:

by the way, my truck is just a 85 half ton with 10 bolt rears, nothing fancy like ya' alls....i mainly have what ya' all call a "mall cruiser":laugh:

anyone have pics of what there rides look like (esp. close up's) with a flip??

thanks again

6. T r a i l r i g

T r a i l r i g Registered Member

i think the greatest advantage over the blocks is the low amount of axle wrap when compared

7. bigarmzz

bigarmzz 1/2 ton status

i'm trying to figure out whether or not i like the looks of the flip hangin down the way they do or not...

of course, the blocks i got kinda look like crap anyways:doah:

85 4x4 black pics 017.jpg

8. T r a i l r i g

T r a i l r i g Registered Member

looks? looks?:rolleyes:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

At first I didn't care for look, but after seeing it more I think I like the looks. More important, as already mentioned, is the smoother ride and better flex. I like the flip that Kert (known here as cybrfire) makes because the user can easily make heavy duty shackles out of flat stock to whatever height is needed, or Kert will cut some for you. http://www.diy4x.com/suspension.htm Now, if he just made a flip for the 88-98 trucks...

10. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

check out the Petersens ultimate k10 project! The setup they used works excellently. In fact had the 2 inch lift and HD rear shakles been available when I did my lift I would've gone with the exact same setup the magazine did! Flip kit is without question the way to go. Lots of flex, smooth ride, and for the looks; everyone that doesnt have them will ask you where you got them! I was the first person to have those on a truck in this town and I get asked about them all time!