Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip Vote

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DPI, Dec 5, 2000.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am curious about the 4" flip and how much it moves the axle towards the front of the vehicle. I have read some post about this and wanted to see if it is that big of an issue. I installed some 5.5" BDS springs in front and purchased the flip for the rear. I was going to have my factory springs re-arched and possibly add another spring to get another 3" from the rear springs. I have a D60 up front that adds another inch above the 10 bolt so I am looking at about 7"s total in the front(BDS springs are taller than they advertise). I talked to Stephen at ORD today and he suggested having some longer springs made if I had problems with the factory springs offsetting the axle to far forward. After talking to Tulsa Auto Spring to today I can have some new ones made for about $125 Each, not bad.
    If you have installed the flip let me know what you think.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have not done this yet but plan to this spring so please share any info you get
    thanks in advance

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

LOVE THE FLIP!!!!!!! 752 on a 25deg ramp with 86 rear springs. yes it moved the axle foward but not enough to be a big deal...maybe 2 inches at most. probably like 1.5
    See my site or Depdogs

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

i put a 12" superlift in a 79 shotbed.the rear driveshaft didn't fit. i then put the rear springs on backwards to help the angle. the driveshaft barely fit. i then took out the 4" blocks and flipped the shackles. i also lowered the t-case about 3". the driveshaft fits perfect and i haven't had any problems.now if i can figure out how to fit the front driveshaft.

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I would think that after lowering the rear of the T-case 3", the chance of you fitting a front drive shaft back in the vehicle is about nil. The extreme angle mixed in with the short distance between the output and the front output yoke on the axle woudln't allow much room to play with. I think you would be looking at a very custom/expensive driveshaft.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, go with the flip. To be honest with you, I didn't even notice that it moved my axle forward at all. Didn't know that was a factor. Anyways, I'm using stock rear springs from a 89' K5. Smooth and flexy. You can check out my site too if you like for an write up on how to do the flip. Combine that with Steve and Shawn's write up, you should be set.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Cool!Thanks for your input. I have already purchased the flip. Stephen @ ORD said they may produce a 1" block the can relocate the axle towards the rear to compensate for the movement. I may consider this on the front also to move the front axle forward so cutting the rear of the front fender may be reduced or eliminated, although you would still have to trim the front part of the fender.

9. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Keep the length of the front drive shaft in mind. And you may lose a little trvel range in the front by installing the block(it moves the axle closer to the pivot point). As opposed to the oposite effect in the rear(farther from the pivot point). And unless the blocks bolt to the spring pack, like teir add a leaf set up, you'll be illegal, and unsafe with this set up in the front. Discuss it with Steve and see what he says. Just my $.04(adjusted for inflation)

[​IMG]

10. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

it moved the axle noticably closer on my 72. I'm trying to
    figure out how to move it forward myself. Here's a pic of my rear axle.

[​IMG]

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

ECNiz,
    Yeah, that is what I am trying to stay away from. Did you replace the springs when you did your flip? Is the center pin, that holds the leaves together, centered between the spring ends? I thought about using the 56" springs, but after talking to Stephen, he said the 56ers have a 4" tail on the spring. The tail adds to the length of the spring, so the center pin is not actually centered between the spring ends.
    Thanks for the picture!

12. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

No, I used my old springs when I did the flip. I put in a 1" ORD lift block to make up for a little sagging, but the back still sits a little low for the 4" lift springs I put in front. I've noticed that some people have put 5 1/2" springs in the back with a 4" front lift to make it sit level, so I'm thinking about putting 2" springs along with my shackle flip, possibly having them custom made with the center pin moved. The stock springs have the center pin in the exact middle of the spring. I just measured it on mine.