Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip with a 4" leafspring lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, May 12, 2005.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Just curious from all the posts lately on shackles....would it be possible to throw in a shackle flip in the rear with having already 4" lift in the front and rear (the lift is all just springs, no blocks)? and what would i need new 8" springs up front?....just by considering needing new springs up front, i doubt i'd do it for a long time anyways. plus i need to just get my truck running again... more or less just curious if it is a good idea to possibly consider in the future instead of a 6" lift cause i dont think 4" is enough.

Thanks

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

With 4" springs in the rear + shackle flip = 8". What you need is 8" front springs, long brake lines, and steering correction.

John

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

so is the biggest DISADVANTAGE of going 8" needing to go through converting to crossover for the steering correction? I plan to do that eventually, but probably not until after I swap out the front axle. plus i still have to get the steering box brace in there to begin with..

do you recommend a 6" plus trimming over this? I really want to eventually get up to atleast 40" tsl's.

thanks

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I would go with a 6" front spring so the back wouldnt sit lower then the front. I have the 8's in the front and the 4's and the flip and the back was about 1.5 inches lower then the front.

5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can always go with a 2 inch shackle flip + 4 inch springs = 6 inch lift for the rear. No you dont have to run crossover even with a 8" lift just a drop draglink and raised steering block but crossover (in my opinion) is better. I think most people on this site would tell you that you can fit 40's with a 4'' inch lift :grin: but its up to you how much trimming you want to do.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm doing 6"f/8" rear starting next week - i'll have pictures!

I'm doing 52" rear TC 2" springs in the front for ~6", and a shackle flip w/ 56" TC 4" springs in the back, and crossover steering.

-Mike

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Be sure to post pics, that's very close to what I'm doing so I'd like to see it. :thinking:

8. ou8mud2

ou8mud2 Banned

currently running 8" superlift springs in front and a shackle flip and procomp 4" springs in the rear. clears 38.5's with no trimming. rear sits up about an inch higher than the front. looks good. had to get a 4" dropped drag link. no problem what so ever. :D good luck

9. victory65

victory65 Registered Member

I just placed an order with the very friendly folks at O.R.D and they were very informative as well. I'm going with 6" leafs up front, 4" leafs out back with their 4" shackle flip. Although I thought this would make the rear end higher than the front, they assured me it should be level. I'm also going with their heavy duty greasable shackles and 1" body lift. If I need a little more clearance I'll get a set of zero rates. I'm hoping I won't have to trim the metal to fit the MTZ 35X15.50's.

"72" K-5/383 stroker/TH-350/NP-205/.......and soon, High angle driveshafts.