Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip with no lift.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, May 1, 2005.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was pondering suspension ideas yesterday. I like my lift springs in the rear because they keep the wrap under control and ride pretty nice, but they do not droop at all. Is this just because of the shackle setup? I have seen shackle flipped rigs droop pretty crazy amounts. So if this is the case is it possible to have it flipped but without gaining any lift? I also thought about going with the 2.5 ORD and losing the 0-rate and the bottom (thick leaf) in my pack to equal it out. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is probably your springs or shocks or something. I have 6" (52") rear lift springs and they flex pretty well. I have almost as much flex as my buddy Matt's truck that has a shackle flip and 56" rear springs.

Check the torque on your spring bolts. I would also check and make sure the bolts aren't hanging up on your spring buckets when they flex. Mine used to do that. Also check and see if your shocks are limiting your droop.

As far as I am aware there is no way to do a shackle flip without gaining lift.

Harley

3. MTBLAZER89

Which bolts??

My springs flex well, but they just don't seem to droop very much I thought flips helped in that department. I have taken my shocks off and tried it. They are limiting a bit, but not much...maybe they are just too tight.

4. Hossbaby50

The shackle bolts. They don't need to be super tight. 40-50lbs or so.

Harley

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

What brand springs are those, Harley?

6. Hossbaby50

Tuff Country EZ Ride 6" rear springs. If you go with these springs be very careful. Don't remove leaves otherwise you will spring wrap the packs and turn them into S shapes. Trust me I know.

Harley

7. MTBLAZER89

i have Superlift 4" springs. They do seem to compress well.

I just went out and looked at my truck. In the front (front) spring hangar the sides are squeezed in towards the bushing where it looks like it was overtightened so I bet they are all too tight. :crazy: