Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip with non stock springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by OnTheRocks, Jun 16, 2002.

1. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Registered Member

i was wonderin how 63" chevys would work with it, or maybe the 57" ford springs turned backwards. should i go 2" blocks in the back, or 2" lift springs (to match the 6" up front)

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

None of the ones you mentioned are a bolt up. For the 63" springs you have to move the front spring hanger forward and the shackle flip bracket back. You can move the front hanger down to gain some lift too (or use a ahackle flip bracket for a front spring hanger). For the 57" springs you have to move the shackle flip bracket back and move the axle back 1" (either by using a 1" 0-rate or drilling a new center pin hole). You also have to make sure you get the 2.5" wide ford springs because some of them are 3". 56" 3/4-ton chevy springs will be easier to bolt in and will only require moving the shackle flip back.
    I would use either a 1" 0-rate or a 2" block to lift the rear depending on how much lift you get after you put in the new leaves.

3. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Registered Member

im not really concerned about bolt up, im jsut tryin to see what would work best. like with the ford springs if i turn em backwards i get a really good departure angle and plus i hear they flex really well (i also have 2 of em sitting in my backyard right now too). but the longer 63" springs might flex a heck of alot more. i dont' know anyone running these setups so im jsut tryin to see what everyone here thinks.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 63" springs and I am looking on bolting them up. One thing is for sure they won't help departure angle. If you take a look at the ORD website you can see some pics of the ORD blazer with 63" leaves out back.

I should be able to move the front rear spring hanger forward to be able to use the 63" leaves but one of the body mounts is in the way on my 1st gen. I figured I would have to move the front hanger 4.5" to end up with the axle back 1" (like it is now because of the extra hole I drilled in my spring perches).

I calculated the spring rate for the 3 leaf (+overload) springs I have to be 150lb/in which is real soft! I might end up using a 2" block to bring the back end back level.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The longer the spring the better, within reason of course but that's the trend. My 63's actually use the stock front mount and have a longer tail than nose by about 6". Departure angle never was great on my K5 and the shackles don't get in the way now either. We've done several K5's with custom rear springs and the flip moved back, length is 57-58" on the spring, it works pretty well that way.