Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Jul 20, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Ok, im installing a ORS shackle flip. Driver side everything is fine, pass. side not so good. The 4 bolts on the side of the frame lined up great but the bottom 2 are a 1/4" off towards the outer part of the frame. I widened the rivet holes and cant figure out why it isnt lining up. Did the same exact thing for driver side and it bolted up great. I measured and holes are in the same spot on the frame distance wise.
    Can I just drill out the remaining metal and bolt up or will thi cause alignment issues?
    Gonna measure the bottom plate of both shckles tommorow when I have some light

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Is the frame channel bent at all? I bent mine slightly upward when I removed the original shackle, but I was able to bend it back with vise-grips to bolt the shackle flip to it.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think you might mean ORD? If so, they are a great company to deal with. Why dont you take a measurement of the holes on the flip itself, and give them a call. It might be a defect, though my stuff has been great.

4. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

woops I meant ORD:D Ill check the frame and make sure I didnt bend it. I measured the holes on the kit and the seem to be fine but I will double check. I think I may have drilled incorrectly though I dont see how, again all I did was widen existing holes where the rivets came out of.

5. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I bet the frame is bent a little, very common on these rigs. Get some leverage on the bracket or the frame and see if you can get them to lighn up.

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Did you tighten up the 4 bolts on the side first to get it as close as possible to the frame rails???? :dunno:

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

yup torqued em to 45 foot Ilb. Gonna use a c-clamp and make em fit

8. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Ok I got it on but it is noticably lower on one side to me anyway. Not a huge amount but Im worried of problems when it come to mounting the spring pack. Will this cause alignment issues?
    The frame didnt look bent but it could be so slight that I may not notice such a minor bend. Perhaps I should try a frame shop? Dunno goona try bolt everything up and see how it rolls. Safety is what Im really worried about

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If there is a problem with the spring hangers not being concentric with each other side, the problem probably did not start the minute you put the shackle flips on. The problem probably existed well before you put them on, and you just did not know it.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I noticed that when I got my ORD flip brackets, that they weren't exactly square where they mount against the frame. If you hold a square against where it mounts to the frame you should notice that it's more than 90 degrees. I imagine that when they get welded the heat causes them to warp so it would be hard to keep the holes aligned where they're suppose to be.