Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78GMC1/2TON4x4, Oct 10, 2004.

1. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

I heard a shackle flip gives you close to 8" of lift? is this true? you go from stock position and have the shackle facing the 9 o clock position which seems like it owuld give you 4 inches, and then turn it down to the 6 or 7 o clock position and gain another 4 inches???????? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

ORD makes a 2.5" and a 4" Shackle Flip.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

no, since only one side of the spring moves, you get half of what the shackle moves, so you would have to move the shackle down 8" to get 4" of lift and that is what thr ORD flip does. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no, shackle flips only go from point to 12 o clock to pointing to 6 oclock(5 or so depending on shackle angle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Never seen or heard of a shackle pointing to 6 o clock, it owuld not work, any weight would push it right up to 12 o clock. Think about it.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

a "normal" shackle flip gives you 4", thats what i got from mine.

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I get almost 5.5 on mine and it looks GRRRRREAT!!! I had mine made by "Backyardbuilt"

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I get almost 5.5 on mine and it looks GRRRRREAT!!! I had mine made by "Backyardbuilt"

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too. Stood up to quite a pounding a couple of weeks ago when I caught air. I put a 4" spring lift on the front, and the flip compensated for the rear "droop" of the stock springs.

8. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Ig ot a hair more than 4" out of mine, but I used an aftermarket 2" "drop" shackle, but I also took off the overload leaf, AND the broken lower leaf from the main pack. So its got 4 leafs on it, has at LEAST 6" more droop, stuffs to the same point, is VERY soft, and is just a hair taller than it was with the blocks I had when I started. I'm happpy, but I'm questioning the leaf longevity, being that soft.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Never seen or heard of a shackle pointing to 6 o clock, it owuld not work, any weight would push it right up to 12 o clock. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no, shackle flips only go from point to 12 o clock to pointing to 6 oclock(5 or so depending on shackle angle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Never seen or heard of a shackle pointing to 6 o clock, it owuld not work, any weight would push it right up to 12 o clock. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought about it, I don't see how. any shackle will go to any clock postioning, it's the spring that stops it from happening,LMAO

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no, shackle flips only go from point to 12 o clock to pointing to 6 oclock(5 or so depending on shackle angle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Never seen or heard of a shackle pointing to 9 o clock, it owuld not work, any weight would push it right up to 12 o clock. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your quote. And yes a shackle could sit at 9. Just move the rear hanger towards the back about 4", but it would put a lot of pulling strain on your hangers and I doubt it would ride very comfyor perform well. Probably break.

12. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

ok to clear things up, when i said the 9 o clock position i was talking about standing on the drivers side in the rear. with no leaf attatched. when stock it points to roughly the 12 o clock position. then i thought when turned and pointing to 9 o clock that would be 4 inches, and then pointed in the 6 o clock postion roughly that would give you 8 inches total. a mechanic friend i know did that to his sons truck. His sons 78 K20 had a 6 inch lift springs in the front and blocks in the rear. well he got 42"TSLs and needed to make room. so he did a shackle flip in the rear. on the rear of the front spring they extended that bar or shackle whatever you call it....and then called advanced adapters and they told him of a ya to lift his truck that would cost 10 bucks.....stack like to pieces of 5x5 to get 10 more inches of lift. giving a total of 16 inches of lift. but from the looks at it and that massive lift it barely clears the tires....thats why i was asking