Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Apr 23, 2007.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

Who all here has done the home brewed ones? If you have can you tell me what you did? If you where to do it again what you would have done different and such. Also could you provide me with pictures? I am trying to decide if I would rather do the home brewed or buy me a after market one.

Thanks

Clint

2. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i did one on my bog truck..i wouldnt suggest doing a home brew on a street truck though unless you brace it...you will need to get a set of zero rates and move the axle back because when you do a home brew one it moves the axle foward or you could just cut you fenders...most people dont use on cause they are trying to get a longer wheelbase and that does not help any...i would go ord or diy4x if i was you im currently putting a ord on right now...

3. pplblazerdude

Sounds like I may have to go aftermarket. I had planned on hopefully puttina zero rate out back anyways so I may just go aftermarket unless someone gives me a good reason not to. Also I would brace the daylights out of it if I did the homebrew.

4. twoslo4five0

yeah i would just go with a ord or a diy4x...they are both super beef and strong..just my .02

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

using the front mount for the rear springs off a junkyard truck will take a lot of the geuss work out of fabbing one.

for the price of the aftermarket its nice to have it arrive in a box to your door with all the neccessary hardware ready to go.

What is your time and effort worth? if you are broke and have ton's of time, build one. if you have some $$$ and want to get the truck done, buy one.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How does the axle move forward ?

The front of the spring stays in the same spot , and the distance from center pin to front of spring stays the same .

It does pitch the pinion up .

I bought a frame with the homemade one . And I run the bolt on Echobit one on my blazer .

7. pplblazerdude

The echobit is the one I would really like to have but they are no longer made

8. twoslo4five0

its just an illusion your right it changes the pinion angle..

9. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

10. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

it rotates around the front spring mount, and does make the wheel base shorter. your moving the rear end of the spring down about 8". that's also how the pinion get rotated up.

11. pauly383

So you are basically saying technically as the pinion of the axle pitches up , the rear of the axle , as it comes down farther away from the frame , goes forward ever so slightly .

Its not enough to even mention . Definitely not enough to even warrant an offset zero rate . The tire and wheel stay centered so beautifully in the wheelwell .

Just correct the angle of the shaft and go wheeling . I have over 3 years on mine without even worrying about it !!

12. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

it moves it enough to notice. when i did mine i just added a zero rate to move it back. i have seen pictures of them done on here without the zero rate, and it's not centered in the wheel well.

13. pauly383

Maybe we need a before and after thread and get an average measurment for everyone doing a flip .

Anyway have a great day man :)

Heres me after :

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  14. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not the best picture in the world but one I already had. Its made from 1/4 plate, and 2 1/2" 1/4 wall square tubing. Boxed in on the front side so the shackle can't flip foward.
    [​IMG]

15. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

From a center line you are taking the rear part of the sping 4" above center line and moving it 4" below centerline. When you introduce the arc of the spring into it I can see where it would move the axle forward SLIGHTLY- I agree, not enough to even think about. I paid 20 bucks and had a guy cut, drill and supply me with the hardware for my flip. He used cold rolled square stock. Hang them down the sides of the hanger, grid teh couple lil area so it can swing freely, sleeve the long bolt in the hanger and use large washers to take up the gap. I don't have a pic of it as the focus but you can see part of it below. For the $$$ in my pocket I am very pleased with it. To get the shackle angle back to a better one I would/might/may relocate the hanger forward about 1". It rides a bit hard but I can deal with that when I'm saving a big chunk of change.

[​IMG]
    Shackle angle above
    Close up below.
    [​IMG]