Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by DaDDyK5, Sep 17, 2001.

1. DaDDyK5

DaDDyK5 Registered Member

I put the 4" shackle flip on the rear of my 78 blazer along with it I put on tuff country ez-ride 6" springs w/ the over weight spring out I have about 8" on lift when I flex the shackle limits the amount of compression of the spring I am worried it might bend my springs when I go off road, and do I need to find some longer shackles to make this work

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You might need a longer shackle, and you might need to stand the shackle up at ride height a little more by moving the bracket back. You need to have enough room for the spring to go flat between the mounts and still have a little angle on the shackle, ie, it (the shackle) should not be totally layed out flat. I would bet the 6" spring is a little longer than the stock or 2" springs. That's probably the root of the problem. Be aware, you can put the brackets on the opposite sides of the frame and move the pivot point back 2" without drilling new holes. this is due to the offset amount in the bracket.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. DaDDyK5

DaDDyK5 Registered Member

if you turn the shackle filps around then they will flip up forwards when given hell or if the brakes are slamed on is there anything to do to keep this from happening (all you have to do to flip them back down is lift the blazer with a high lift but still) if not where can I find some longer shackles, I know you can use lowering shackles but can't find just the shackles but the whole kit
    thanks for your help

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Summit racing sells just the Beltech lowering shackles. They are about $60.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Actually the shackles should come down when you're on the gas, but inversion is possible. I had to weld a stop on my flip for a set of custom rear springs one time. The shackles may be the answer.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>