Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Z3PR, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just ordered the 4" Shackle Flip Kit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Was wondering if there are any plans to make a 6" lift version anytime soon ???

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My $.02: that would be a bad idea because in order to gain that extra 2'' of lift you would need the shackle to be 4'' lower and that would really kill the departure angle /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Another downside would be that your pinion would be pointed at the sky! Now if you were to make a combination of the spring hanger and shackle hanger to gain the extra lift, that would be cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but would probably cost twice as much and not be worth the extra 2''. You can use lowering shackles with the flip kit to actually raise the truck 2'' but it will have all the same downsides PLUS it would increase the side to side sway of the springs/axle, but all you would really need to do to run them is shim the pinion down and it would be OKAY, not great, just okay. You might want to think about running a 2'' block (axle wrap won't be as bad as the 6'' blocks you are using now) or a 2'' lift spring.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm planning on 3" lift springs in the rear. I've got 6" lift in the front, and with the shackle flip, 3" will put it right where I want it. (Heavy back end with all I carry)

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Another problem you run into is roll oversteer. Basically anytime you drop the rear of the spring you increase the tendency for the rear end to steer toward the outside of the corner anytime you have body roll. As it is, the 4" flip puts the eyes of the spring pretty close to level, dropping the rear more will tend to "loosen" the rear end in corners, especially if you run without the swaybar, which helps control the body roll and adds roll stiffness to the front helping keep the truck "pushy" instead of loose. That's one of the reasons why we don't have a flip for the earlier dodges, we've played with one a little and the spring would be at a pretty drastic angle so handling would get pretty poor. The springs in the dodge start fairly flat compared to the GM which has the back of the spring higher than the front.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just a thought, what about a system that also lowers the front of the spring. Just a thought, got my mind working. (And that's a scarry thought in it's self)

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We have looked at it and it's possible. Really only useful with taller lifts since it does start creating a ground clearance problem. I have a friend that actually moved his 3/4T spring hangers up so he wouldn't hit them. And it's the same situation as a shackle lift, you only get 1/2 the lift of the added drop. So you'd have to drop it 4" to get a 2" lift which is a BUNCH.