Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by monte0172, Jul 20, 2003.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Hey guys im doing a shackle flip in the rear of my truck but the spring looks like its going to sit too far forward to be even with the original mount. is this normal? Please any advise would be great.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yes, it is, hen you do the shackle flip the truck now sits atop the springs and in the traveling arc of the shackle there is no gravitational 'low point' like the top center of a normal shackle. wthe truck will be able to press the spring out more because unlike a factory style shackle it does have to also press up on the truck, therefore it will ride smoother and softer.

so yes, it is normal.

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

maybe i just cant picture what BOwtie is saying... but if the spring has some free arch left to it, its going to get shorter when there is no weight on it. and possibly appear to short

and i cant see how flipping the shackle to compression would change the way spring flexes... well i can... a little bit. you're saying that the shackle, when not vertical, is acting to try to compress the spring by stretching it??

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

After doing it I can see why!! It actually causes your leaves to flatten out some due to changes in the geometry of the points in whits it bolts up. Basically by lowering the spring in the rear you put more stress on the rear half of the spring. after metting it up i dont think its going to give me the lift i need. might have to go ORD and add a leaves.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what flip did you use?
    I have the Echobit one and made up two different shackles, one is stock lenght and the other is 2" longer...

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

How much lift do you need? I went w/ the homemade flip, and netted a solid 4" of lift. Still sits slightly higher in the rear even w/ a set of stiff-ass Superlift springs up front.

John

7. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I made my own lift that was similar to the echobit and ended up with about 5.5 but its not enough. I hate the saggy but look. I was going to post a pic but cant figure out how to get it in the post. The pick is in the process of the flip but not on just yet but it sits about the same. Any suggestions about how to get it higher? I was thinking ORD flip and some add a leaves. and maybe a 1-2 inch block.

8. SkulzNBonz

You can use add-a-leafs, zero rates, or a drop shackle that is designed to lower a 2 wheel drive, but when flipped, can be used for lift. You will definately need some type of shim for pinion angle, unless you are going to use a CV driveshaft.

John

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i also made my own flips, i just cut the bottom out of the stock shackle mounts and flipped the shackle through them. with that and the 63's i got about 3.5 inches

10. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can use add-a-leafs, zero rates, or a drop shackle that is designed to lower a 2 wheel drive, but when flipped, can be used for lift. You will definately need some type of shim for pinion angle, unless you are going to use a CV driveshaft.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was looking at my pinion angle yesterday and its looking pretty bad. But with out the transfer case or tranny in there i dont know for sure. I also took and just bolted the longer shackles for the two wheel drive on there for measuring purposes and it was close but no cigar!! WHats a good place to get add a leaves and I have never understood what a zero rate is? Could someone clue me in? Any ideas also how to post a pick for everyone to see?

11. SkulzNBonz

A zero rate is really nothing more than a 1" block that bolts into your existing spring pack. The ones ORD sell have some holes in them to relocate your axle forward or back if you so desire. Pretty sure you can get an add-a-leaf from just about any parts store. To post a pic you need to have it hosted somewhere (webshots or image station are both free), and then just post a link in your post.

John

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

webshots will not allow you to imbed an image in the post. You can make a link to your webshots album but if you want to imbed a pic in a post you need real web hosting. here is a link to the album with pics of my shackle flip.

13. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Cool just made a webshots album and im still working on the rear album but try this. web page Let me know what you think!!

14. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I have the home made shackle flip on mine with a shackle made for lowering a 99-02 Chevy 2". This gave me 6" of total lift. But now the pinion is pointing way up, so I need to reperch it. I also plan to plate the top of the shackle, and cut the whole bottom out for more shackle travel. Should work well.

Here's how it looks right now...
    [​IMG]

15. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I did basically the same thing for measuring to see how much lift i was actually going to need and I got about 6 inches but it still sits about 1-2 inches lower in the rear. Tonight im going to cut out the bottom of my bracket like you did and frame something similiar up to get me about 4 inches then put a 4 inch block in for now till i can get enough money for new springs. Right now i need brake lines and to finish my tranny and at least get it back on the road. Its been sitting for 4 months and im tired of it sitting there. Its depressing.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You can use a 1/2 ton 4x4 front hanger on the back doing a shackle flip and net 6" of lift. Even with a 4" shackle flip your pinion will be pointed at the sky like mine is.

If you do the front hangers you'll have to run a brace between the hangers or they'll bend. Merely bracing it to the frame on their prospective sides will only cause the channel to flex and bend.

I used a front hanger off a 3/4 ton and put it in the exact same place as my old rear hangers. IE: I left the brace that goes to the bottom channel of the frame there and used that as a starting point to drill holes.

4"
    [​IMG]

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Way back when I first purchased my blazer I cut through my hanger for the flip and after all of it ended up making my bracket to solve all of these issues. The biggest drawback to cutting through the hanger is your still stuck with a poor shackle angle if your using a flat spring. Using the 2wd front hanger would allow you to move the mount forward at least 1" and create a better ride with more droop much like my bracket and the ORD bracket create. There are always considerations to take into account no matter which way you go with it. Pirate had a similar thread on this recently.

18. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Ok well here is what she looks like so far. Shackle And here is what she sits like with the tires and everything on. Whole truck
    Now im open to suggestions as to what i should do. This is what i have to work with. those brackets, enough metal to make my own or 6 inches worth of blocks (PLURAL) on the rear of my parts truck. then to finish it i still need brake line which suggestions on that would be appreciated and shocks and a torque converter. as well as several other misc parts. oh and she has to be done by next weekend. Help!!!

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats a long shackle /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif . First thing I would do is brace the two shackle sides together with tubing (square or round), either welded on or pinched between the shackle plates with bolts through the spare holes above the leaf pack. Your going to want the two sides to be rigid and braced against each other in an H fashion. As it stand now, if you were to push on the bed, your going to see a lot of side to side walk on those shackles as they flex, shift and lean over independent of each other. That could create a lot of wander on the road. I would also run some type of locking nut (nylock) on there since its natural motion will work a stantard nut free. Having metal on metal ther might fatigue pretty fast to so keep an eye on it watching for the holes to oblong. Theres nothing you can really do about shackle angle. Since they are so long to begin with, I'm not sure you'd be able to take advantage of any more angle if you had it without placing the main leaf under a lot of stress on full droop with that long of a shackle. A shorter shackle and lower mounting point would be easier to control and maintain the same lift. The brake line with that much shackle is going to be stretched so you'll need a longer one. You can try bending the axle brake line mount up to get you mobile but I wouldnt wheel with it like that (rubber limiting straps dont work). Shocks are over rated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but Bilstein 5000 series are probably the bottom of the top of the line, rancho rs9000's with their adjustability and ability to be run upside down is pretty slick but the 5000, procomp es3000 and other comparable shocks just feel stiff. Torque converter, hmmm, go stock if you crawl a lot and have a stock cam(lower trans temps), or bump up a little to match what you do the most with the truck. Looking good, but you've got a lot to do in one week!

20. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Those two brackets I just threw on there as a means to measure how much lift i need to get it level. It is deffinatley not stable and I wouldnt dare even try to brace it up to get it to work. Ive had bad expeiences in the past with swaying rear ends and trailers. It looks like Im going to have to spend some money on this to get it done right so what do you suggest? I dont do much rock climbing but I have a few buddies that like to ride the trails and i was planning on going with them. Im going friday to 4WPW to get my brake lines and other misc objects is there anything i can pick up there or would it just be best to order the shackle flip and throw a block under it to level it up? How long does it usually take to ship from california?