Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85k5blzr, Feb 1, 2001.

1. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about getting a 4" Offroad Designs Shackle Flip kit. I was wondering how much do you think it would cost for all of the extras, extended brake lines ect.......?????? How much do you think installation would be? I was also wondering why so many people don't like shackle flips and say they are bad?

85 k5 blazer with an old 305....must have more power! [​IMG]

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ord shackle flip is $175, ext SS brakelines from procomp or superlift are about $85, and axle shims if needed are about $12. Now I dont know why anyone would say a flip is bad. It gives you more travel without the use of blocks, and is cheap. Especially if you do one like mine. LOL
    [​IMG]

I plan on fabbing up new ones soon though, that move the shackle forward about an inch and swing down with extension of the spring.
    HTH
    Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

3. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what somebody would estimate installation to be.....just trying to figure out how much i am looking at before i go at it....when your in highschool you don't have much of an income. I am guess i am going to have to replace shocks as well.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The one I posted is the poorboy approach, I fabbed it up myself. The ord unit requires knocking the rivets out of the stock hangar mounts, removing it, and bolting the new ones in. No reason why you couldn't do this yourself with a floor jack, hand tools, and your favorite metal removal tool. *grin*

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

5. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

I know you can do the flip on the back, what about the front? What's the best way to lift the front?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The best way to lift the front is new springs.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I just completed a 3/4 Ton Rear Dif and 2 1/2" shackle flip installation, and here are the parts that were required for the lift alone:

<font color=blue>1) Shackle Flip
    2) Extended Brake Lines
    3) Front Lift Springs
    4) 4 New Shocks</font color=blue>

Now, if you go with the 4" lift, you might need:

<font color=blue>5) Dropped Steering arm, or raised pitman arm
    6) T-Case Lowering or Rear Diff Shims</font color=blue>

I decided to replace all my bushings with ORD's greasable ones while I was at it, and also added ORD's exteneded front shackles.

You can check out and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/photo.html>Link Two for detailed pics of the whole process.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I read that the compression shackle (stock) holds the axle against an object (like a rock) better so it's easier to climb up something.
    Just what I've read, but it makes sense.
    -- Mike

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pretty sure the stock set-up is called a tension shackle and after the flip would be referred to as a compression shackle.
    Could you elaborate on how the stock set-up holds the axle against an object better? I'm probably not visualizing this very well. I would think with a 4" block for example that if the tire was up against a rock there would be more leverage on the spring causing more problems than with a flip where there is no block.
    I'm not trying to start something, I just want to be able to get on the same page and make an evaluation based on more info. This is the first I've heard of this.
    Do you remember where you read this?

Rene

[​IMG]