Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SHACKLE LIFT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batchman, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

I saw a shackle lift in the parts store today anyone know anything about these good, bad, ugly?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I would be careful w/ them. They are not super strong, from the ones Ive seen anyway. Also when you add longer shackles you change the caster angle. Granted on a GM (or Yota, w/ a rear mounted shackle) it is for the better but only to a point. On a Jeep the shackle is in the front and you REALLY trash the handling characteristics. (sp) So if you go w/ them dont get crazy and put them to the tallest hole. You will mess w/ the steering pretty bad.

3. Batchman

Well it was only 20 bucks or so so you think putting in the middle hole appeared to be about a 2 inch lift would be ok as far angles go?

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well you only get 1/2 of what you think. A 1"longer shackle will only give 1/2" of lift. You are only moving 1 end of the spring. I think the biggest you can buy from (I think) ORD is a 1/2 in. lift so the shackle is 1" longer than stock. I havent got them yet myself, so I am not positive on this. I would say that a 1" is safe 2 " may be pushing it. (I am assuming that the holes are spaced at 1" since you said middle hole looks like 2".) So 1st hole shouldnt be a problem 2nd might be. Try and see how it handles. But do so slowly. Also remember that the farther you space the spring from the frame the more likely you are to have some side sway.

5. Batchman

Ok so it would be like if you just needed a touch more to stop rubbing when you flex ect? Not a true lift per say?