Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle reversal home made

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazd88, Aug 8, 2004.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone else out there has done the home made shackle reversal. We did it on my buddies truck yesterday after blocks werent enough on a six inch rough country. It rocks! No problems yet rides great and it only took about 2 or 3 hours. It also helped driveline angles but we were wanting to get it a little better any suggestions.
    thanx /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

you mean like this?

[​IMG]

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

How did you make it? I was thinking of making one for my 90 K5. Where did you get the part? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

actually we just cut a hole large enough for the shackle to fit through, flipped it, and put it through. im working on getting pics on here at the moment. but no special parts were needed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I did this on my ole 83 with the hwlp of a sawzaw and a fellow member,

one thing to add.. if you can brace the bottom of the bracket to the top, I imagin hard landings or side loads may cause it to fatigue over time. Just weld in some flat-stock and call it good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also..any vibes?

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

thats exactly what whe were thinking for support. and no vibes at all

7. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

kind of a crappy pic.

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10465&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

thats mine

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

This is my version. I first opened the bottom, but ended up having to really open it up. The shackle hit it. So i had to brace it across the top.
    [​IMG]

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Henry, please tell me your suspension is fully unloaded in that picture! That shackle is back asswards otherwise /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. bablazer73

actually, it's NOT!! I used rancho 2" lift springs, but because of the added arch, my 52" springs measured 49 1/2!! it moved my axel foward! shoved the drivesaft right to the bitter end. I haven't had time to work on it at all, but i plan on moving the front spring mounts back 3-4". Hopefully that will put the shackle in a better position and move the axel back 1" from stock. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    actually, it's NOT!! I used rancho 2" lift springs, but because of the added arch, my 52" springs measured 49 1/2!! it moved my axel foward! shoved the drivesaft right to the bitter end. I haven't had time to work on it at all, but i plan on moving the front spring mounts back 3-4". Hopefully that will put the shackle in a better position and move the axel back 1" from stock. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

would be cheaper and easier to get yourself some 56's and a zero rate/longer shackle or something to make up the difference in lift.

13. bablazer73

My original plan was to go 56" springs, but I ran out of money! Since the rancho's were in the truck already, I tried to reuse them. To keep the cost down. I figured at the cost of new springs, I could just spend a little more and go 4 link. But thats down the road a bit. For now, these will work, and cost nothing. which fits the budget VERY well!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif