Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle reversal vs. spring lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Buckeye, Jul 26, 2001.

1. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

For those of you who have been able to compare an all around spring lift versus a shackle reversal, would you share your thoughts please. In particular, a 4 inch lift versus the ORD reversal with stock springs. Thanks.

1972 K5
    1991 Jimmy

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Does spring lift mean like blocks or lift springs for the rear? I have blocks. I'm gonna get the shackle flip. Better flex that way than if you went with lift springs and not so much axle wrap as with the blocks (which I'm getting a heck of a lot of with my blocks [​IMG]). I'll be getting the shackle flip soon. [​IMG]

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Depends if your existing rears are shot, if their ok I'd go
    withe the flip.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

4. K5Buckeye

Yes, I'm referring to a rear spring lift.
    The rear springs on my Jimmy are in good shape.
    I was just wondering how the two rides compare on road?

1972 K5
    1991 Jimmy

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i was wondering about 4 inch lift springs and the 2.5 inch shackle flip. would that be better than 6 inch soft springs?

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think there are two different schools of thought here. Cost and ease of installation. The springs are more money, but the shackle flip is alot of work. You could also cut the bottom of your existing hanger out and do it for virtually nothing! I did mine a few weeks ago, there was really nothing to it. You can see it on my pickter page. I haven't had any problems and I've twisted it up a little bit. One of these days I'll beef it back up a little. Good luck with your choice.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Been runnin mine that way for 5 years. Works fine.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

I am planning on doing the shackle flip on my blazer also. seems like the way to go. We just finished one on my buddies 1973 chevy 3/4 ton truck and we have been wheelin pretty hard in it and it is working out super. SHAKLE FLIP IS THE WAY TO GO I THINK.

9. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Hey JimmyJack,

Did you need to get new brake lines with the flip?

John

10. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

by all means do flip it " i'll be your huckleberry" i loved that movie (tombstone)

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Because my rear springs were 22 years old and in need of rebuild/de-rusting, so I went with a 4" Tuff Country all spring lift. For a 4" lift a spring lift seems equal to the stock ones with a block IMO. Stephen at ORD seemed to think anything over 4" lift in the rear you should go at least partial shackle flip.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm no expert, but from what I remember reading the reason to do the shackle flip is to stay with a softer "stock" spring.

If you get a 4" spring lift (no blocks) the spring will have to be stiffer to do the same job. My impression is that the shackle flip preserves the ride quality, but allows you to get the truck to the height you want.

-Greg72

13. K5Buckeye

Well, still undecided. My Jimmy is mostly a daily driver. What I need to do is find someone who has the shackle flip and go for a test ride. I appreciate everyone's input.
    Thanks!

1972 K5
    1991 Jimmy

14. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

what is and how do you do a shackle flip???

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A shackle flip is when you flip the rear shackle to go from the spring up in sted of down to the pearch. You buy the kit from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm>http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm</a>or do it your self by cutting out the bottom of the pearch and reinforcing it.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

And using a lowering shackle to make it higher. My friend has a homeade shackle flip of 5-6"

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

And using a lowering shackle to make it higher. My friend has a homeade shackle flip of 5-6".

Those of you with shackle flips, how long did it take you to install it? Leaf springs aren't so easy to install either.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Go with the Shackle Flip. while you're at it, get greasable bushings. the Flip also moves the pivot point forward which increases articulation, that's why they look "offset". If your concern is sagging rear springs, use an Add-A-Leaf. I noticed no loss in articulation but my ride improved. Currently I'm running a 4" Tuff Country lift with the ORD shackle flip and Add-A-Leafs in the rear. Never been happier!

19. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Every time I get near my Blazer with my grinder in hand I want to attack those shackles. Guess I better get front springs first, otherwise I'll have a comic book looking ride...

John

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The only draw back I have noticed with the shackle flip is it makes the shackle more vunerable to rocks. With springs it stays tucked up out of the way.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>