Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle reverse and bushings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

It seems that my rear spring and or shackle bushings are going bad. When I let off the brake from a stop or accelerate from a stop the rear of the truck seems to drop suddenly, not far but noticable. I know weight transfers to the rear, but this is more of a jolt, not just the suspension moving. Is it hard to replace all the spring and shackle bushings?
    Also, how does the ORD shackle reversal affect load carrying capacity. My stock springs appear to be in fine shape so I think if I go to the trouble to replace all the bushings I will get the reversal also.
    I don't really off road much, would I be better just getting some new 4" rear springs and avoid all this hassle?? If so what brand springs are about equal to the stock rear springs rate and ride? Lots of questions. any advice would be great.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You should be able to tell if your bushings are shot be looking at them. They usually last along time. You may have a driveshaft slip yolk making the clunking sound upon acceleration. The bushings are somewhat of a pain to get out...either beat, press or burn 'em out. The shackle "flip" shouldn't change you carrying capacity at all...same springs. I would only add the flip if you want or need to lift the truck 4" or so...then ya gotta lift the front also. There are tons of posts on lifts and ride quality...try a search.

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" lift now, but am looking at alternatives for the rear blocks.